2 sick buffs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BriColie, Apr 1, 2017.

1. BriColie

BriColie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Hi everyone, i currently have 2 sick buffs. I'm not sure if both sicknesses are related or 2 different illnesses.

1 buff i noticed yesterday walking around with a crooked neck...i followed her around today & noticed that her neck won't straighten, she keeps it to the side. I haven't noticed any other symptoms in her.

The other buff today i noticed after she layed it sounded like she was crying (like a baby cry), weezing & sneezing...sounds like gasping for air. I immediately separated her from the flock as i suspect respiratory illness. However, i know gape worm is rare but my chickens do free range & eat a lot of worms...what would the different symptoms be from respiratory or gape worm?

Both buffs are 6 months old. Both laying perfect eggs still. Both eating & drinking.

I have altogether 3 buffs, 2 rir, 1 barred rock, 1 silki rooster...all others seem to be doing well besides the 2 buffs.

Any help or advice is welcome. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Now i have found 1 soft shelled egg laying on the ground outside the steps of my house...which is odd bc we've never had an issue with any laying in the nesting box. I'm thinking it may be the chicken with the crooked neck? I'm not sure, but i think that's who layed it. I'll be separating her shortly & we will see what happens.

3. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Bumping - please help - other chickens not showing illness of any kind yet...all in quarantine right now...I'm starting to think the chicken with the crooked neck could be sick & vitamin deficient? Someone's expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4. jcoz

jcoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
  5. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Thank you dear! I've given them some salmon for now, having DH pick up some sunflower seeds...hoping it's just a vitamin deficienty & she will get better with time. We shall see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by