2 sick chickens

Merenmatt

Hatching
Oct 1, 2018
We have 2 sick chickens. It started with one that I noticed was roosting and had been in the same spot for 2 days and the second day her eyes were swollen shut. So we quarantined her and gave her some Tylan. While we were taking care of her my husband noticed another chicken that was lethargic but not as bad off. Her eyes can open, but she’s often in the same spot and usually has her eyes closed. So we quarantined her as well and gave her some Tylan as well. The first chicken pooped out some barely digested corn, has refused fresh pancakes to eat, and is much the same on her 3rd day of quarantine. The 2nd chicken is pretty much the same. We’re not sure what to do next.

What state are you in? Have you recently started worrying about the chickens and cold?
Tylan isn't indicated unless you know the problem is one of the bacterial issues that can be helped by antibiotics and not viral, fungal, environmental, etc..
If the bird takes a turn for the worse, be prepared to send it off for a necropsy so you know how to treat the other birds.

I’m in Arkansas. And it has been cooler lately, but not cold. We regularly give them apple cider vinegar, we wormed them with wazine a month ago, and use diotomaceous earth in the coop and run. I read online to try the antibiotic. But it doesn’t seem to be helping. We’re really just not sure what to do next.

Coryza can cause their eyes to be swollen shut, and they usually have nasal discharge as well. I believe coryza is one of those things you can treat with a specific type of antibiotic but they will always be carriers from now on. But it may be something else entirely, chickens are tough to diagnose. Are they drinking on their own? If not, you may need to give them some electrolyte water with an eyedropper. Try some hardboiled egg, most chickens can't resist that. Any other symptoms, are the crops empty?

Obviously a poultry vet would be the best solution, but I know it's not realistic for everyone and they can be hard to find. I found mine through an equine vet, and she's been a great help.

Back
Top Bottom