1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep lePleaser, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Peep lePleaser

Peep lePleaser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    I found my Barred roo in the corner of the coop around noon, with his head tucked under his wing. When I picked him up to see what was wrong, I found a foul smelling wound where his wing meets his body. On further inspection, his eyes are both crusty and matted up and he's very weak and sickly. So, worrier that I am, I started thinking maybe it's contagious. So I started checking other chickens. Sure enough, one of my EE's, although not yet weak or sickly, also has crusty, matted eyes. I use straw, and keep the coop clean. Have treated well for mites. They are free-range chickens, so whatever it is, I dont think they got it from IN the coop.
    Anyone have an idea what it might be and how to treat it??

2. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Treat wound with an antibiotic ointment. As far as the eyes go, that sounds like some sort of infection as well. I would flush the eyes w/ saline and give them some oral antibiotics. I have also heard that you can put antibiotic ointment like neosporine in the eyes as well to treat infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by