1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 sick hens, is it Cocci, should I cull them?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arlinc, Feb 2, 2014.

1. arlinc

arlinc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Santa Rosa, California
    I have a sick hen that's about 6 months old - 4 days ago she was unable to walk and stopped eating and drinking. I separated her from the flock and have been feeding her by hand twice a day and giving her water from a syringe with Sulmet antibiotics. (It seemed like Coccidiosis and the local feed store recommended Sulmet) No imporvment after 4 days, and tonight another hen has the symptoms :( Do I need to cull them both? Any advice please help!

Symptoms:
    lay in nesting box instead of on perch at night
    won't eat or drink on their own
    very lethargic
    unable to stand on their own
    heads bobs and moves - can't really hold still or hold head up
    poop - clear and watery, no blood that I have seen

I'm pretty sure if I stop feeding them by hand they will die - maybe I need to do that now?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think it sounds a little like botulism from eating a decayed animal or fish carcass, or decayed vegetation. A flush of molasses or epsom salts can be given to the new one showing symptoms, but not the first one because it would be too late. They usually become paralyzed in the legs, then later the wings, and then neck, and eyelids before sometimes death. If they survive more than 2 days, they should live, but symptoms may take a while to go away. Look for any maggots or decayed animal carcasses or rotted material in their ranging area.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. arlinc

Jul 29, 2013
    Santa Rosa, California
    Thanks eggcessive, I will look into that right away! What do you think about the one that has been sick for 4 days, can I try the flush or is it too late? She is showing paralysis in the legs and I'm also seeing here eyes closed a lot.
    thanks for the help

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is too late for the flush for the first hen you found 4 days ago--the flush would give her diarrhea and dehydrate her more. Flushes are dangerous--good if they have swallowed a toxin or poison--bad if they are just sick (like cocci), so it's already a risk to do them. I didn't mention Mareks disease earlier, but it sometimes looks like botulism. If your hens legs don't work, I think they have one or the other, but with your symptoms I would think botulism. You will need to decide yourself--your birds have all the symptoms of cocci, too, except for the legs not working. Here is some info on botulism:
    http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html
    http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/publications/field_manual/chapter_38.pdf
    http://poultrymanagent.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/3/2/16324570/021.pdf

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Just want to mention that in regards to Coccidiosis,sulmet only targets 2 strains of cocci whereas Corid(amprolium) will target 9 strains.

Are you sure your birds have paralysis in legs or are they just too weak to stand?

6. arlinc

Jul 29, 2013
    Santa Rosa, California
    thank you both. Actually I think they are just too weak to stand. If I put her foot on my finger she is able to grasp it with her toes, so yeah now I'm thinking she it just too weak.

I will look at those links eggcessive - and ten chicks is there just one kind of corid? I saw that at the feed store but it said it was for cows. Can I use that in smaller dosage?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are 2 kinds of Corid--liquid and powder. Either can be used on chickens or cows. It is 20% amprollium.
    Dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water if using the powder. Liquid dosage is 2 tsp per gallon if the liquid is used. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. arlinc

Jul 29, 2013
    Santa Rosa, California
    Update: the first sick chicken is now clucking a bit and standing up on her own. The second sick chicken seems to be better and is out and about, although she did lay a rubberish egg with no shell?

I will keep feeding the first one see if she gets her strength back

they have the Corid powder at my local feed store - thanks eggcessive!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, glad you found the Corid. You might want to make sure they are eating some crushed oyster shell or feed them crushed egg shells. Rubber eggs happen occasionally. Keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by