1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 silkie chicks are suddenly week. Any ideas????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Missouri chick, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I had a christmas hatch of silkies. They have been doing great until now. 2 of the 5 are week and maybe a little thin. They don't seem to want to eat so I gave sugar water. Any ideas? Do any of you know what might be going on? I'm stumped.....

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hmmm... Maybe failure to thrive?... We had a chick die from that once, but I hope I'm wrong [​IMG]

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Have you been giving them vitamins in their water? You could add protein in the form of scrambled eggs.
    Are they quite a bit smaller than their hatch-mates?
    christina

4. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    They've had chick starter and vitamins. They are the same size as everyone else and feathering the same.

5. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Has it just been today that you noticed this? I think they go through little growth spurts and it wears them out. I noticed that with this last batch of BOs that I had. One day a couple looked loagy<sp?> but the next day their feathers started thickening and they were perky again...
    Try the eggs. Won't hurt
    christina

6. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I wonder if it didn't start last night. I got in late and didn't spend much time inspecting everyone. If I can get them to eat on their own I'll try the eggs. They sure are laying in one spot. Don't seem to have the energy to go much. I feel terrible about them....

7. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Are they too hot, maybe? That would make them tired. Do they seem to be getting picked on by the others?

8. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Nah, I had the lamp turned off since it was warm enough in the house. They don't look like they have been picked on either. Everyone is ignoring them.

Christina, you are so full of good ideas. thanks for posting so much.

9. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    You're welcome. I learn when I post, plus it bumps it up so someone else might see it and jump in [​IMG]
    I hope someone can hot it on the head
    christina

10. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Well, I just went to check on them. They MAY be a little stronger. struggled a more this time when I tried to syringe them. [​IMG] I'll keep going.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by