2 silkie chicks are suddenly week. Any ideas????

Missouri chick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Homer, GA
I had a christmas hatch of silkies. They have been doing great until now. 2 of the 5 are week and maybe a little thin. They don't seem to want to eat so I gave sugar water. Any ideas? Do any of you know what might be going on? I'm stumped.....

Hmmm... Maybe failure to thrive?... We had a chick die from that once, but I hope I'm wrong
fl.gif

Have you been giving them vitamins in their water? You could add protein in the form of scrambled eggs.
Are they quite a bit smaller than their hatch-mates?
christina

Has it just been today that you noticed this? I think they go through little growth spurts and it wears them out. I noticed that with this last batch of BOs that I had. One day a couple looked loagy<sp?> but the next day their feathers started thickening and they were perky again...
Try the eggs. Won't hurt
christina

I wonder if it didn't start last night. I got in late and didn't spend much time inspecting everyone. If I can get them to eat on their own I'll try the eggs. They sure are laying in one spot. Don't seem to have the energy to go much. I feel terrible about them....

Nah, I had the lamp turned off since it was warm enough in the house. They don't look like they have been picked on either. Everyone is ignoring them.

Christina, you are so full of good ideas. thanks for posting so much.

You're welcome. I learn when I post, plus it bumps it up so someone else might see it and jump in
smile.png

I hope someone can hot it on the head
christina

Well, I just went to check on them. They MAY be a little stronger. struggled a more this time when I tried to syringe them.
fl.gif
I'll keep going.....

Back
Top Bottom