2 Silkies, Hens or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EggyErin, Jul 17, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    They are 4-5 months old. The white one has been crowing like crazy for two or three weeks and the buff has just started, though lacking the fervor of her comrade. I know hens can crow so that's what I'm hoping the situation is, although neither of these is anywhere near the head of the flock. Maybe they're trying. These are feed store purchases and the white one was soooo little I just knew she had to be a hen. [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If they are crowing, more than likely they are cockerels. Do you have any pictures?

3. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Oops!! Here are the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Sorry but I think those are roosters.

5. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    They are pretty, but they are definitely boys.
    Very big bright combs and wattles, swooped back "hairstyles"....

6. EggyErin

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Anybody want 2 silkies?? The white one crows a lot and pecks on the buff, but isn't annoying otherwise. The buff is grabbing necks and making the girls screech. Based on what I've read here, this is fledgling testosterone looking for something to do. Ugh - I don't want babies![​IMG] In the meantime, I'll have to think of new names.[​IMG]

7. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    [​IMG] If you werent so far away I would say yes to taking one they are pretty boys

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Yuo both roosters!

9. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Definitely got yourself two little roosters to love!

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

definately roosters.

Both will eventually start trying to mount your girls.

If the girls are screeching its probably simply because they aren't used to rooster attention or they are just young and not ready to mate. Having a roo doesn't mean you will have babies - as long as you don't let anyone go broody and set on eggs. fertilized eggs are no different than unfertilized eggs without a roo and are perfectly safe to eat - they don't develop unless you leave them in heat or under a hen for atleast a full day - even then you don't see any actual difference in the eggs until the beginning of day 3 of incubating. So if you are attached to one of them, you can easily keep one. Roos are good for looking out for the girls, they tend to do alot of looking out and warning the girls of danger like anything that isn't 'normal' that moves, and hawks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by