2 Silkies on 1 Nest? PICS!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muscovy94, Jul 18, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone 2 of my silkie girls have decided to go broody. So I gave them some OEGB eggs to hatch. But the thing is, they decided to go broody in the same nest. Will that be ok? Will that hurt the eggs in any way?

[​IMG]

ETA: Sorry they look dirty, lol.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It's ok. Both of them will share "motherhood" I have 2 RP hen turks sharing 14 eggs right now.

3. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    yep, its fine. I had two RIR hens that shared a nest together and shared 'motherhood' together.
    I actually liked it because since there were two hens, the chicks were more safe.

4. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a mother daughter pair of silkies that always hatch together. Then they are both "mom" but the older mom is in charge. Silkies are layed back usually. I don't think you will have a problem.

5. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I had the same thing happen and they hatched out 2 chicks. They share the duties. Its so cute!! One takes them while the other eats and drinks and has "her time", then they switch. Its sooooo sweet

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have 4 silkies in one nest box now...I'm not letting them hatch anything but that doesn't seem to stop them from trying! [​IMG]

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They'll be fine. I have 3 Silkies that just hatched chicks together. I also have 2 different turkeys that have each co-hatched with a Cochin this year. Mama Cochin takes care of the chicks and Mama Turkey guards and keeps all the other chickens away. [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I've got a silkie and a sumatra "sharing" 5 chicks at the moment. The silkie hatch failed and she appropriated a couple of the sumatra's babies. The chicks clearly identify with both hens as mom as they will run to either one for comfort and food.

Co-parenting hens always amuse me. Sillly chickens!

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I had two silkies that were setting on eggs. Another (standard) hen had hatched out 5 chicks two weeks before. So I put them all in the same room together. The two silkies hatched out 8 chicks. That same week, I bought 5 newly hatched Sultans. I kept the Sultans in a brooder for a week. They were not doing great - big issues with pasty butt. Also, huge fluctuations in outdoor temps were making it very hard for me to brood them in my coop. So, I thought, "What the hay." and I put the Sultans in with the two silkie moms. By this time, the standard gal (flighty Ameraucana) was DONE being a mommy - done! So, I said a little prayer & let her out of the brooder room. I figured the two silkies might handle the crowd - 18 chicks! Well, they did for about a week. Then, one of the silkies decided she was finished parenting, too! [​IMG]
    Well, my silkie, Cinnamon, who is pictured in the avatar has been mommy to all 18 for nearly a month now. Silkies are awesome moms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by