1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 to camp 2 days early..(Updated with Pics)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Nov 14, 2010.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So this AM I went out to pasture to feed the chickens (FR) and turkeys. Well on FR we pecked almost to death. It's head just about had a hole in it from all the birds pecking it. The other I noticed didn't move at all for food. So I walked over picked it up and put it on it's feet. It stood about 20 seconds then basically fell to it's chest.

These will be 12 weeks old on the 20th. So about 11 weeks right now. Since I didn't want to fire up scalder and stuff I just bled out and skinned it . Put them on the scale and they were 4.2 and 4.6lbs.

I will post photos later. But I did notice the breasts are thick like the CX and long like a standard heritage breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So has anyone else out there raising FR noticed the darker breast meat?

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    very nice

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    That's a delicious looking bird . Mention of the darker meat reminds me :
    My mother invited me to a supper of chicken and noodles , " if you aren't tired of eating chicken " LOL . While enjoying the supper with her , I mentioned it was a like a different meal from the chicken and noodles I've cooked so often lately , being it was made of breast meat only . Turned out it was commercial , whole chicken ; the dark meat looked and tasted much like my home grown's breast meat and there were none of the richer flavored dark chunks I've grown accustomed to .

5. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Well I have one CX that I raised in the slow cooker. Shredding it for enchiladas.
    Another CX is going in the rotisserie tonight for a family that has lost their jobs. So we are going to provide a meal for the family of 4.

And the FR well I will take the breasts off thinking of slicing thin and making a Chicken Scaloppini with the breasts.
    The thighs and legs not sure yet but I can't wait to taste it.

6. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    Those are very useful photos. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by