2 Transport cages for under $25. Very durable

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SupaChickn, Feb 8, 2013.

1. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I came up with this idea after using these cubes in the garage to hold all the kids toys.
    [​IMG]
    Purchased this kit at Kmart for $21. This one box will make 2 complete cages 14"x14"x14"
    [​IMG]
    Additional supplies i used were about 2ft of nylon rope, some #10 ground wire and some zip ties from HomeDepot

[​IMG]
    Looped rope through the wire on top to make a carrying handle then reinforced it with electrical tape. Also used the zip ties to reinforce the cage at the corners. The included hardware in the box is suffiecient but i wanted to make sure it held together,

[​IMG]
    I used the #6 ground wire to make a latch that I looped through the top of the cage then bent over to secure the door.

[​IMG]
    With both doors open.

[​IMG]
    Finished product. That one $21 kit makes 2 cages with 2 compartments each. I made these for under $25 and they are VERY sturdy and spacious for your birds to be in. I will probably line the bottom of them with small hardware cloth so that I can fill them with hay or pine shavings. Hope this is helpful for someone else.

2. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    They look great, but from my experience with those cubes over many years and many moves, the connectors they come with are really not designed to be moved while bearing weight. I've had many pop off unexpectedly and wouldn't trust them to hold onto my birds. If you could connect the panels with something more reliable, like a J-clip or wire or something, that would solve the problem.

3. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I used those little black zip ties to secure the sections together and reinforce them for that reason. Along with the original hardware work great. I used them at each corner to hold all the sections to each other. Very secure after that

4. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I think if I were using this design I might try leaving out the plastic knobs and securing j-clips at the corners, or heavy duty zip ties. I just don't trust those knobs to stay on for anything, lol.

5. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    thanks for posting this..I just jumped on this thread to find ideas for show cages to put birds in to keep them seperated...I'm going to keep this in mind.

6. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga

Yeah. I used zip ties to secure it, the jclips are a good idea too.-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by