2 turkeys LIVE! UPDATE, I HAVE A PIP!!!EARLY!!!But he wants out!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickfillhay, Jun 23, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    [​IMG] My two hens were sitting on Royal Palm Turkey eggs. Hubby was outside checking on them but the hens were off the eggs. They were cold. And they smell real bad. So much so that I scrubbed my hands with a brush and I still smell it! [​IMG] YUCK!
    Did they die. Two of them smell like old yucky food. The other dont smell so bad. I candled them. Some of them have movement but only as I move the egg around. Some of them stay still but don't stink.
    I put them in the bator. They are due on Friday.
    ARE THEY DEAD? [​IMG]

UPDATE: Threw away the 3 bad eggs out of 6. The other three are in the bator. I have a pip!
    But they shouldn't be due till Friday. Do they have a 3 day self sustainable time before I have to feed them.? (just like the chickens?)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    THROW THE STINKY ONES AWAY !!!!! that is why the broody hens got off she doesn't want a rotten egg to explode on her. If you put the good ones in the bator there is still hope.

Henry

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If the eggs stink, they are rotten.

DONT put them in your incubator, as they could explode, filling your incubator with bacteria and nasty stink.

4. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    2 of them I know are bad. I will throw them out. But the other 4 smell too. BUt not as bad. They had alot of chicken poo on them I wiped that off. Does anybody know what I should look for when I candle the turkey eggs. I see a dark area and a light side. BUt is the light side the air cell. Or should there be a dark,light, and an even lighter end for the air cell?

5. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    EWEEE! When I went to throw the stinky ones away I noticed they were leaking! [​IMG] So I threw them over the fence in the back yard. They hit a tree. ( 20acres between neighbors) AND OH THE STENCH! It stunk up the entire back yard. MY hubby is outside working on the new chicken coop and HE COULD SMELL IT!!!
    But, I still need help on what to do about the others.
    Should there be a REALLY clear aircell like chicken eggs

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    OK, I had three left. Two are definately alive! How do I know? One pipped!!!Last night! It isn't due until Friday so I gave him some room to breathe, and put him back in the bator. The second egg is moving like crazy inside. No pip yet. The third hasn't much movement but it doesn't stink. So I am hopeful 'cause there is alot of viens and a definate shape. I raised the humidity so the eggs won't dry out. And took out half the egg trays 'cause I didn't expect to have to put them in the bator since broody hens were on them. And now they are sharing with a few chicken eggs. When the others pip should I try to put them under the hen? Or will they be fine in the incubator for a couple of days?

7. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    [​IMG] HELLO? UM...Hello outthere?...Anybody? [​IMG]

8. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Wow! What an experiance! I hope the last few hatch for you! [​IMG]
    I have one royal palm, 3yrs old. Do you know how long they live, if let to live a full life?

9. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    This is my FIRST time with turkeys!!! I got the eggs on Ebay. And wasn't sure I'd get any alive. We all know how ebay eggs usually go. I have been very luck so far. Do you have just the one Turkey or are thare more? ......And do you have any eggs?.......................OMG!!Just went over to check on them. He is completely out of the egg!!!But still has a little bit of yolk left. I hope he/she doesn't move around too much and lose the yolk before he/she's done using it up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by