2 Unknown hens and 1 possible rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by iWolfie, Sep 15, 2012.

1. iWolfie

iWolfie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2012
    Good evening everyone today a family friend surprised us with 3 beautiful chickens. Now first off the story behind these three they were rescued from another owner who couldn't care for them anymore.

So first is this lovely guy. If I am guessing correctly he or she is a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]golden sebright. Now the reason why I assume this is a rooster is because on his legs he has these small rounded bumps on each legs usually were the spurs are located. Correct me if I am wrong though this is just my guess haha. This little guy did try to pick a fight with our game rooster.[/FONT]

[​IMG]

Now the second one is this lovely hen I am not sure what she is, her feathers seem pretty dark, yellow legs, and towers over the possible rooster.
    [​IMG]

Last one here is also a hen she is fully golden brown, has no feathers on the neck area, plus as you can see she has those black tail feathers. These three are in a separate coop away from the other chickens as I read they needed to be under quarantine first.

[​IMG]

All three are eating and drinking well, they're just settling down after their ordeal with the others.

2. iWolfie

Jun 16, 2012
    Updated photos of the three hopefully they might help?

Not sure if these are soon to be spurs.

[​IMG]

Front side of the golden brown hen, could she be molting?

[​IMG]

Better color detail on the other hen. She looks to be a hybrid.
    [​IMG]

Sorry if this post is considered as bumping :(

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Those are all hens- hens can get spurs too :) That is indeed a gold sebright; they are always bantams so she'll stay small. The second one looks to be a blue laced red wyandotte, either hatchery quality, or possibly a mix. And the third on is a Turken hen. As a Turken, their necks are always like that. They're also called "naked necks".
    Pretty little girls you got there!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. iWolfie

Jun 16, 2012
    Oh! I never knew hens can have spurs.
    Thank you so much for the info especially for the Turken Hen I was worried when I first saw her. All 3 are indeed very gorgeous to look at.
    My silver laced hen doesn't seem to like them at all lol.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st is a golden sebright as for gender without an age it can go wither way right now that comb looks fairly small which indicates a pullet
    2nd is a blue laced red wyanddotte.
    3rd is a buff turken also known as a necked neck her neck will always look like that

as for the spur buds on the legs, you can not use that as an indicator of gender as all chicks and chickens have them and some hens even grow spurs those that do are mainly game breeds but others are also known to grow them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree.A warning about the naked neck,once you have one you will want another.Then next thing you know, you will have a whole flock. [​IMG]

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    1- Golden Sebright pullet
    2- Blue Laced Red Wyandotte pullet
    3- Buff Naked Neck pullet

8. iWolfie

Jun 16, 2012
    Hah you have no idea how much I fell in love with this lovely girl. Maybe in the future I might go for a second naked neck [​IMG]

9. iWolfie

Jun 16, 2012
    Thank you!

10. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

You are already showing signs of naked neck chicken fever.[​IMG] Check out the naked neck/turken thread in the breeding and genetics section.You will see some of my naked necks and others naked necks.There are pics of all kinds of naked necks posted there.Most are naked neck crosses or naked neck projects.Check it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by