2 Vanishing chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by poodlepill, Apr 6, 2011.

1. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I had one chicken about 3 months ago just vanish now last week another vanish, no feathers anywhere to be found. I have no memory of the first one as I didnt catch on that she was missing till a week or so later bad me. This last one was during daylight hours and she is a full grown EE, just vanished. Chickens do free range and I am out on land but totally fenced in. Is this hawks? I just cant see anything else snatching chickens during daylight hours?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fox, coyote, bobcat will all snatch and run. All are feeding young now and will hunt whenever it is necessary- day or night.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Could be a hawk, or maybe a dog- though dogs are usually messier and noisier. Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd bet fox. Lost one of my girls about a month or so ago, just gone.

5. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    But I am totally fenced in, 5' with a top wire making it 5 1/2 foot tall and fence to the ground with no holes dug under that is what is stumping me. I am on 3 acres just outside of town so not remote at all. If a Hawk did this wouldnt there be a pile of feathers from when the hawk landed on the chicken?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hawks can fly away with far less than people think they can. Generally they kill and eat at or near the point of kill unless the prey is relatively small. Yes, they pluck feathers and scatter them around the carcass. Coyote, fox, bobcat will not hesitate to go over a fence of that height.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    I'd say like some others a coyote or other animal like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by