2 watering questions

Skipcurt

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Woodstock, GA
I get my chicks this Thursday so I'm still quite awhile from drinking water in the coop/run but I'm always thinking about the next step because this is my first go 'round with chickens.
I have horizontal nipples that I was originally going to use with a PVC pipe system. I was talking to another chicken keeper this weekend and he said that he tried that method also but the inside of the pipe would get all gross with slime and whatever and said it was just huge pain to clean out.
Q1- Has anyone here experienced this and how do you remedy it?
This person also said that they now use the bucket system with the red/yellow cup system and hangs it from the bottom of the elevated coop and they love the simplicity of just having to clean the bucket. I would tend to agree with that.
Q2- What is a good height for the nipples to be at? I'm sure it varies for different types of birds and ages so let's just use some general guidelines.

Thanks so much!

It's simpler and easier to use a five gallon bucket, put as many blocks under it as needed. If you have smaller birds, put a block under a nipple so they can reach or put nipples at different heights in the bucket.

20170422_104939.jpg

I've never had any build up in my nipples, use the vertical, no sunlight, no algae. Even if I did, is it a really big deal? Chickens eat their own poop.
:gig
they also eat their food off the dirt and chow down on unwashed insects and plants. Most algae is of the blue-green variety anyway which is not only non-toxic but actually has some nutritional value.

That's not to say you should ignore common sanitation and let your watering system get all funk.

It's simpler and easier to use a five gallon bucket, put as many blocks under it as needed. If you have smaller birds, put a block under a nipple so they can reach or put nipples at different heights in the bucket.

View attachment 1310795
That's what I bought today and also an easy open screw off lid. I was thinking of hanging it off the coop but was just trying to get the most appropriate height. I guess any height will do.

I've had no issues with algae build up in my PVC waterer. A lot of it depends on where you put it, I think. Mine is kept shaded all the time plus the PVC is completely opaque so there isn't any light to allow for algae growth.
I was planning on having the PVC system under the coop so it would be shaded the majority of the time as well. The PVC would be the standard white PVC that you use for plumbing nowadays. I was also planning on having it turn and go outside the run to a vertical pipe with a removable cap at the top. That would hold more water and be refilled from the outside thereby limiting travel into the run.

I would love to set up a poll to see how many folks clean and more importantly HAVE TO clean the inside of the PVC watering system.

It varies with the type of nipple, not so much the type of bird or age (as long as they are the same size). Horizontal nipples should be about beak height. Vertical nipples should be just above eye level.
I love the drinker cups cause they're so easy to clean. However, they're no good in freezing weather. Horizontal nipples work in 1/8th inch PVC fittings but if screwing them into a drilled hole in a PVC pipe, the pipe needs to be at least 2" in diameter. You can put a threaded plug or cap on the end of the PVC so you can open it up to clean the pipe from time to time.

It varies with the type of nipple, not so much the type of bird or age (as long as they are the same size). Horizontal nipples should be about beak height. Vertical nipples should be just above eye level.
I love the drinker cups cause they're so easy to clean. However, they're no good in freezing weather. Horizontal nipples work in 1/8th inch PVC fittings but if screwing them into a drilled hole in a PVC pipe, the pipe needs to be at least 2" in diameter. You can put a threaded plug or cap on the end of the PVC so you can open it up to clean the pipe from time to time.
Yes, as I mentioned I'll be using horizontal nipples. I understand beak height but what is the beak height? Can't seem to find anything on bird heights.
I get putting a cap on the end for cleaning but how do you clean the inside of a pipe that's say 3 ft long?

Yes, as I mentioned I'll be using horizontal nipples. I understand beak height but what is the beak height? Can't seem to find anything on bird heights.
I get putting a cap on the end for cleaning but how do you clean the inside of a pipe that's say 3 ft long?

You tie an old dishtowel to the end of a broom stick and swab it.

Back
Top Bottom