2 week old baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster419, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rooster419

rooster419 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    when i got her (she is a laying hen)she looked fine but now i noticed that she aint pooping her rear end is all puffed up like she is constipaded. should i be worred if so what should i do. and one more thing how do i get rid of mites (little red bugs under there wings)thanks for any info you can give me i got to save my chick.

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

pasty butt,maybe?soak her bottom in warm water to loosen it up and use your fingers to gently peel it off

3. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    It sounds like pasty butt all you have to do is soak her bum in warm water and either with a cloth or your hands wipe it off or peel it off. As for the mites dust them with DE and put some in thier coop and run or area that they free range and do this every month I think. *Make sure its food-grade because if its not and they eat it I think it can make them sick.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi and Welcome to BYC!!! Is this a laying hen or a 2 week old baby chick?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I'm confused. The title says 2 week old baby chick. But your post states she is laying. So who is constipated a baby chick or a laying hen?

ETA.....welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. rooster419

rooster419 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    it is a 2 week old chick. when i bought her the lady said she would be laying eggs in about 5 months

7. If it is baby chick be sure to keep it very warm. Warm water soak and wear gloves if you are grossed out. You may have to pull off the stuck "stuff" with your fingers.

8. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i took it that it is a 2 week old sexed chick (pullet)

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You need to take care of this asap, if they can't poop from being clogged up they will die. I don't want to scare you but this is an emergency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by