1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

2 week old barred rock pullet or roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kristylynne, Jul 30, 2014.

1. kristylynne

kristylynne In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Sacramento, Ca
    Guesses?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I'm guessing a cockerel, has a big comb and a white patch that is kinda all over

3. kristylynne

Jul 28, 2014
    Sacramento, Ca
    Thx. :)

4. topher8547

topher8547 In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    MI
    Get a picture of the legs then I can tell ya. 100%

5. kristylynne

Jul 28, 2014
    Sacramento, Ca
    Oh ok. It's dark outside now so lemme see if I got any leg shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are the best shots I have with it's little legs. If you can't tell from these I will take a better one tomorrow

6. topher8547

topher8547 In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    MI
    It's kinda hard but look at the legs and if the legs are all yellow ther roo but if they have gray or black on the legs it's a Pullet

7. kristylynne

Jul 28, 2014
    Sacramento, Ca
    Ok thanks! I'll get a good look tomorrow. I might be see some gray on the feet in the first pic with the chick being held by one if my kids. Thanks again. :))

8. kristylynne

Jul 28, 2014
    Sacramento, Ca
    Here are some better leg shots I got today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Cockerel. I'm pretty darn sure on this one. Though the head spot is large, it is fairly defined on its edges, which is generally a pullet trait. BR sexing rules are not 100% sure, but I do think this is a male.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Not always. The old line heritage BRs are not as easily sexed as the hatchery stock. Most all my cockerels have some dark on the leg fronts, though it's sketchy. And I've had pullets who were cockerel colored, huge head spot, almost no dark wash on the leg fronts, overall lighter barring. My first BR hen was as light colored as all her sons. Then, if you get a single factor barred male to pop up in a line, which has happened with me years ago with straight BR parents, all sexing rules are out the window.

That said, with hatchery stock, the pullet leg color is usually dark all the way down. The males may have some dark, but it skips and is mostly concentrated just above the foot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    KikiLeigh02 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: