1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 week old Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by treeves, Feb 15, 2015.

1. treeves

treeves Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    El Paso,Tx
    I have 3 Barred Rock chicks and they all have black on their legs. Could this be an indication if their sex? I'm pretty sure one of them is a rooster. But, I really don't know how to tell. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The best option is to go ahead and take/post photos of your birds (be sure to label them such as A, B and C to make it easier to know if we are seeing several photos of one bird or photos of multiple different birds). Two weeks is a bit young, but even at that point some good guesses can be made. Leg wash is often used as one characteristic, but the accuracy of such clues can be heavily influenced by the quality of the birds as the more "watered down" your stock is (ie the hatchery birds that often stray fairly far from the SOP in the interest of better production, etc) the less reliable such cues can become.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by