2 Week Old Black Copper Maran Chick Strange Respiratory Sounds, Need Advice!

DuckyLou

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
East Texas
Hello,

I'm new here and new to raising chicks. I had them when I was a kid, but have just now started back to keeping chickens, So lets just say I'm new to it! :)
I need some help with a problem I am having with a 2 week old French Black Copper Maran chick. Yesterday I found it laying down alone breathing very heavy. Also making some nasally crackling sounds along with coughing and sneezing?? I separated it from the others, put it in a tote with paper towels as the bottom and put food, water and a light. It seemed lethargic. But it started to move around and eat and drink. I didn't think it would make it through the night, but it did! And on top of that it seems better. Still making some of the sounds but is definitely better. Eating, drinking, and poo looks normal, not runny.
I have looked up the symptoms but have gotten very confused by all the different information! And I really stink at searching on the Internet :/

I have had it in with 8 other chicks. 2 other Marans, 4 production reds, 2 silkies.
They are in a very large plastic water trough with pine shaving as the bottom, and I clean it twice a day. I have them on
non-medicated chick starter, and clean their water at least twice a day.

I'm not sure where to go from here, should I put it on antibiotics? I read something about Gape worms,?? I also read that it could have eaten pine shavings and its stuck in its croup?? Respiratory infection??

Please help! Thanks!

Here, I'll try and find something.
Alright, I've been reading in my book, and so you're saying it's just making sounds when breathing? I'm no expert, but maybe you'd like to try to give it antibiotics. Goodluck!

Thanks for your reply!

It sounds like it has flem in it's nose, and its sneezing, coughing, shaking it's head and opening it's mouth with it's neck strechted out. but there is no discharge from it's nose or eyes. And its fine otherwise, eating,drinking, poo is normal, active. Seems like if it was a respiratory infection it would be going downhill and would have died by now.

Could it have eaten shavings and it got stuck in it's croup? Or I read something about Gape worm? I have tried researching it till my eyes are bloodshot, but to no avail!

I have liquid pour on ivermectin for cattle, should I try and worm it? If so how much would you give to a 2 week chick?

Could be sensitive to the pine shaving dust - try switching to another bedding and see if that makes a difference? I have one chick that sneezes a bit, more so after I fluff the pine shavings. I have electrolyte mix I put in the water, and it acts just like the other chicks, so I'm not too worried about it anymore.

Well I thought the same thing, but I have had her in the house in a tote lined with paper towels for 2 1/2 days now, and it's the same.

Have you started the antibiotics?
Also, this sounds like what my Black Japaneese did, but she never made it. Did she eat anything bad for her?

Last edited:
Well, I went to the feed store and bought antibiotics, but I just didn't want to give it to her for some reason, I guess because I just wasn't convinced that whatever was wrong with her could be cured by antibiotics. Since she was eating and drinking fine I decided to wait and see for a few more days, and she is right back to normal, no more croaking sounds, clicking, sneezing or coughing. I have no idea if this is related or not, but I did end up finding what I think was lice on her, Small, whiteish, creamy colored crawly disgusting little bugs. So I got to looking and all of my baby chicks had them, but the worst was 2 silkies that I bought from a farm, (i'm guessing they are the culprits for bringing them in). I did powder them with some Hi-Yeild , and now all the bugs are dead. I don't know, going way out on a limb and probably soooo very wrong, but maybe the lice caused respiratory issues???? I don't know, but for now all is well! I thought she would have been a gonner for sure.....

Thanks for checking! :)

Back
Top Bottom