1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 week old broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Picco, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I was moving my chicks today to tidy their brooder up a bit and I dropped my only penedesenca chick. I thought I had a good hold on her but she wiggled out and fell from about five feet high. She landed on a hardwood floor. She's limping a little now and doesn't put much weight on her left leg. She's as gangly as a turkey poult and has real long and skinny legs. Do you think she hit hard enough to break a bone or do you think its just sore? I am so mad at my self. She's (I'm praying to the chicken gods that she's a she) my only pene that hatched out of my first try. Is there anything I can do to help her at this point or do I just wait and see?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I know my group jumps from our arms/shoulders to the ground all the time, and so far no one has injured anything. They usually flap their wings and I think it breaks their fall.

If it was my chick, I'd give her a little time, and see if she is still limping or it looks swollen tomorrow. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I really do think as far as falls at 3wks, they are pretty resillient.

-Meghan

3. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I forget... she's only two weeks old. Thanks for giving me hope!

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    you need to separate and restrict the amount of movement and also be able to obseve the chick more closely...it may need splinting

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    How's your little chick doing now?

6. Picco

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    She limped for a day but has made a full recovery. I guess her leg was just sore. She now runs around without any trouble. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by