2 week old chic not acting right.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhino1, Mar 4, 2015.

1. rhino1

rhino1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    I came home tonight after work and one of my baby chicks is acting strange. When I left for work this morning I changed their water and filled their food and everything seemed normal. Tonight one doesn't act like it has much energy to get up and around. She will walk, but will not hold herself up right and she seems fluffed and sloppy if that makes sense. This is my first time raising chickens, go figure. I don't want to waste anytime if there is something I should know. I have done everything I was advised when I bought them, now I feel like I am punishing her because I don't know enough, please help

2. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    [​IMG]

3. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    That's her, see how she's not holding her wings up and she just stands there unless she is laying down. She's also breathing heavy. You can watch wings and back move when she breathes. Should I separate her from the rest or just watch her? Somebody told me it wasn't good to pull one and leave it by itself when they were young, said that it wouldn't do good away from the group. But again, I'm new at this. I'm going to call our vet we use for our dogs when they open at 7

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are your temperatures good? 90-95 the first week of life and decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered usually at 6 weeks, and room to get away from the heat.

I would try dipping her beak in the water every hour (see sugar water recipe link below). Don't separate unless she is getting pecked/bullied as it will be harder on her to reintegrate if there is no bullying going on.

Normally I would say to consider coccidiosis but you don't have chickens outside you are caring for/older equipment if this is your first batch of chickens, so I am guessing this is probably shipping stress or just stress. However, there can be genetic problems and other problems such as bacterial infections that can affect chicks as well. So it is really hard to say what could be the problem.

There is a sugar water recipe here on this page that you may wish to try for a day or so- there is a super stressed recipe as well on there lower on the page):
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

I would not use the sugar water more than one day if you do it, and I wouldn't do it for all your chicks- I would just dip her beak in the sugar water but not give it to the others (give the others regular water as they are kind of old for it). So I would keep the sugar water out of the brooder and just pick her up to dip her beak in it to try to revitalize her. No guarantees this will perk her up but it is what I would try.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Edited my above post. ;)

7. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Thanks for replying. I have made sure there was plenty of heat and they have room to get away if need be. I have a thermometer in there I got that is for a brooder. I have the heat lamp as high as I can get it, but it will still be to hot right under it, but they are usually of to the side and not directly under it. I change their watery out every morning. I am actually taking her to the vet we use at 345.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by