2 week old chick ate hair

HoneyHillHens

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
so yesterday i was sitting there and one of my ladies made a pained noise. I looked over and one of my hairs was hanging half way out of her mouth. I trimmed the hair (because when i tried to gently coax it out of her mouth she screamed again). She seemed normal this morning, ate and drank infront of me. By my worry is it’s wrapped around her tongue or something. I quickly glanced into her mouth and the bottom side of her tongue looked fine but what should i be looking for? Like what other symptoms would she be showing me? Also if it’s not wrapped around her tongue, how to i help her process it?

If she swallowed the hair completely it's unlikely to be a problem. If the hair was wrapped around the tongue it would be. If she's eating and drinking normally, then she's probably ok, just keep an eye on her. Since you trimmed the hair, hopefully it just went down on it's own. If she seems off or not eating or drinking you will need to check her tongue. If it was wrapped around the tongue you would need to remove it. Tiny tweezers, tiny scissors, and help to hold her.

If she swallowed the hair completely it's unlikely to be a problem. If the hair was wrapped around the tongue it would be. If she's eating and drinking normally, then she's probably ok, just keep an eye on her. Since you trimmed the hair, hopefully it just went down on it's own. If she seems off or not eating or drinking you will need to check her tongue. If it was wrapped around the tongue you would need to remove it. Tiny tweezers, tiny scissors, and help to hold her.
You don’t think my long hair would give her any issues? She was doing alright this morning, i watched her eat a little and drink a little. She also is pretty imprinted on me, and she threw herself at the brooder wall to get my attention like she usually does. I hope she’ll be okay.

Back
Top Bottom