1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

2 week old chick breathing heavy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Savori, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Savori

Savori Hatching

Jun 11, 2018
    Hello,
    This is my first question. Happy to be here.
    I have baby ducks and chicks together. Everything is going great. The ducks do hog the water .But the chicks do get in there and drink. They are all fighters. I have 13 chicks and 6 ducks. The one chick who is breathing heavy is one to two weeks younger then the rest. I checked everything on her .The only thing is her heavy breathing.
    Is she not getting enough water. Or is there something more?
    Thank you

2. Savori

Savori Hatching

Jun 11, 2018
    I do have them on medicated feed until I put them outside.

3. kimthom66

kimthom66 Songster 5 Years

Apr 24, 2013
    Southeastern CT
    Medicated feed is NOT good for ducks, if they are eating that feed too your should switch immediately to NON-Medicated food!

Could be repository issue, use straw instead of shavings as bedding and that may help!

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I never Brood Ducks and Chicks together.
    Possibly it's being harassed by the Ducklings?

5. Savori

Savori Hatching

Jun 11, 2018
    I have them on a all organic duck chicken medicated feed.
    And they are not being harassed by the ducks. They all snuggle together. Its very cute. I make sure the chicks are drinking. They have been together since babies. I just introduced two new chicks two weeks ago. And one is breathing heavy. She is not being picked on. They have there pecking order all figured out. I sit there and watch. I check up on them all day. There my little babies. They are wonderful. They have lots of space so they can get away from the heat lamp. I change water at least 2-3 times a day. Clean there space once a day. Give them mealworms and grit. I feed them with my hands and pet them. I love them!!!!!

I just would like to know what might be wrong with my chick. She is breathing heavy. Is it lack of water? Or is it something else.
    I put her and the other chick I got her with in a separate space with electrolyte water. I am putting her beak in the water once an awhile.
    I just saw her breathe like this first thing this morning. And I separated her right away with her friend so sheis not alone.
    I just would like to know if it my be some kind of illness. Thank you again

6. Savori

Savori Hatching

Jun 11, 2018
    She has left us........
    I wish I knew what I could of done to save her. She was beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: