2 week old chick can barely walk. please help!

rockhill

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Lake Creek, Oregon
We have a 2 week old chick who doesn't walk well at all and teeters over when it try's, It was fine last week and now we had to seperate it from the others to prevent pecking. she try's to flutter her wings but her feathers have been pecked at by the others. does anyone know what may have happened and what we can do to help this chick?

Last edited:
does it have straw or something under it to give it good traction?if not its legs are propably slipping apart and getting stuck like that!this is deadly so you need to get a bandaid or something and use it to hold the chicks legs together for about a week also be sure to put straw or shredded news paper in the other chicks area so they dont develop the same condition. keep the chick seperate and hand feed and water it til its healed then let it get used to walking again. i just remembered what the condition is called, spraddle legs be sure her legs get the normal distance from eachother, not too close . then try and put her back in with the other chicks. only do this if there is no bedding in the area
eta
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
We have large pine shavings in the brooder. Its so strange sometimes she walks ok and sometimes not so good. she try's to spread her wings and falls over and then just lays there for a while. She will walk over to her food and water but it takes alota effort.

I'm probably gonna get some weird looks for this one but try feeding raw chopped liver. I read it in a book by Joel Salitin. He had a problem years ago with a riboflavin deficiency. He also says a little brewers yeast in the feed can help. Now he was feeding his own ration but anything is worth a shot. Are the toes curling too?

hey we had a chick do the same thing and i brought her in the house as she was a momma hatch and put her alone i a box and gave her antibiotics in her water as i could think of nothing elce to try and had to try something just when we thought we were going to have to euthinise(sp?) her which we really did not want to do as we have never had to befor my daughter beged us not to and i told her we would give her another couple of days and she just came around slowly but surly she was able to walk again. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom