2 week old chick can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quyen Le, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    She is about 2 week old and has been eating, drinking normally. All of a sudden, I found out that she laid on her side and could not stand up. I put her in a plastic tub with another chick. Try giving her water and she took it OK, saw her eating some food too. I wonder what is the cause, please help, thanks.

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Does she appear to be in any pain? It could on the other hand be paralysis ... keep updating

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Need more info, if you can ... the reason the other was isolated, and if there are other symptoms. Also, in your brooder -- is there at least 18" between the closest part of the bulb and the floor, and do they have sufficient room to escape the heat of the lamp (assuming you're using infrared heat)?

For sure, you're gonna wanna get plenty of water in this one, and make sure it can move on it's own if it gets too hot where it's at, and that it's got a way to escape the heat there, too.

4. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    It's not too hot, actually it's about 70. I use 100w and 75w bulbs in a cold shed, so the distance is around 10". The other one has leg problem since birth and I put both in here so they don't feel lonely.

5. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    That is cold enough that they will dogpile in a mound, which squishes the ones on the bottom. Birds don't breathe like we do, and do not have diaphrams ... it's easy to stop their ribs from moving, which stops their air.

To make it warmer, you can use layers of foil or pie pans as reflectors, and hang them from the bulb ... they will heat more efficiently, and radiate the heat of the bulb down towards the chicks a bit more. You can also buffer the air flow, so that there is more movement on the cooler end than directly under the lights, which will make a much warmer area there. But, 'til you can get that done? Heat up a few rocks, or bricks, and arrange 'em to provide warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by