2 week old chick constantly eats and/or drinks then projectile vomits...getting think/weak...HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pdx2phx, Jan 19, 2015.

1. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on with this chick!

It won't stop eating or drinking, and will vomit food and water all over periodically. This has been going on for 2 days. The keel feels pretty prominent, the crop is squishy, but I don't know if that is just due to all of the water. I have it separated in a glass tank where it can see it's siblings, under heat, etc. I took the water out for several hours today and the crop still feels squishy. I don't smell anything sour coming from the chick. I separated it from it's hatchmates initially because it seemed a little listless. It wasn't doing this manic eating/drinking thing at the time, just constantly sleepy, 'clumsy' and not keeping up with the hatchmates at all.

I would almost think it has some kind of blockage preventing digestion,etc in the crop, but can't think of what could cause this? The chick is being fed Manna Pro Medicated chick starter and fresh water. Bedding is paper towel over non-slip shelf liner. Chick is being raised inside.

I'm worried this chick is actually starving/dying of thirst and that's why it won't stop eating/drinking. I don't know what to do to try and help it - how to tell if there is a blockage, or if this is something neurological? After the separation is when it started eating/drinking like crazy....did I cause this by moving it? UGH.

Please, I would love any advice you can give.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    There is a condition known as impacted crop where things like that could happen. Have you tried using grit?

3. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    I haven't - never needed grit for chicks before (?) Does this happen with chick feed sometimes? I had impacted crop once or twice over the years that I treated with olive oil, but that was with adult hens eating too much grass, etc....

We have sand in our run outside - I can always grab a little and put a pinch or two in with the chick? Would that work for grit?

4. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    I added a pinch of grit on top of the food and put the water back in.

At 2 weeks old, how long can I take it out food/water for if need be to try and get the crop down in size? Tried a little olive oil and crop massage last night, and got some clear watery mucus out. Still no smell. The crop was still large this morning and I don't see any changes.

Any other ideas folks? I want to do my best by this little one....[​IMG]

5. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Are there any ways to safely clear an impacted crop of a 2 week old chick?

Still hoping for some insight. thanks

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you have it in a glass tank with a light on it, it could be overheated. That would cause it to drink excessive amoints of water.

7. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    thanks for the ideas....sadly the little one died in my hands earlier this evening. [​IMG] I tried everything I could think of to do!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I am so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by