1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 week old chick dizzy, not eating.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by VickoRano, Feb 23, 2013.

1. VickoRano

VickoRano Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    I am a super first-time chicken owner. I have a young Cockatiel that I have owned for four years so I have a little bit of bird ownership experience but nothing like chickens. I have four chicks-- a Cochin, Americauna, Barred Rock and a Buff Orpington. As it turned out later, they are all slightly different ages.

I have a two-week old Buff Orpington chick who, just today, has started to show signs of fatigue, lethargy, dizziness and not eating. I suspect, since she's the youngest of the group of four that I have, she may have been bullied away from the food--only because she has been the weakest of the group from the start and I've seen her eat less than the others for a while. I give them all food and water in excess, change the water several times a day and check on them a lot.

I read that she might be dehydrated and nutrient-deficient to the point where she's too weak to feed herself, so I started gently feeding her hard-boiled egg pieces and honey-water (a half a cup of water to a 1/4 of a tsp of honey or so) and I made her starter feed into a mash with hard boiled egg, honey and a vitamin supplement "for birds" that I had purchased for my Cockatiel when she was laying too many eggs. I put only a dash of it into the mash as an emergency measure because I want her to get what she needs asap.

The vitamin supplement does have Iron in it but I think the amount is small enough for birds to handle, being that it is specially formulated. The brand is Zoo Med, Avian Plus, Vitamin and Mineral Supplement for Birds. The stated Guaranteed Analysis for Iron is 3500PPM/3500kg in a 113.4g bottle. Is this safe enough for my chicks if they need it?

I will be forever in this forum's debt if anyone can help me get my Buffy back into a happy state.

2. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    As an addendum: we use non-medicated feed (I just called the place I purchased it from to double check) so I would be happy if anyone has info. on what to supplement the chicks with that the feed cannot. Thanks.

3. First you might want to get a heat lamp a new bin and seperate her from the older chicks if they are picking on her. Give her everything the other chicks have just away from them. probiotics may help her so you could sprincle some in her food or give her PLANE SUGAR FREE yogurt. My Buff Orpington baby died as a chick I dont know how but some sort of sickness. Give her the hard boiled egg and everything u read to give her and some probiotics.
    Good Luck!

4. You may want to buy some medicated chick feed that could help too.

5. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    Roostersandhens thanks for the advice--I did separate her immediately and placed her into a smaller box in my bedroom. The other chicks are almost old enough not to need the lamp, so I gave it to Buffy. We live in South Florida so the average daytime temp is 85 degrees at this time of year.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    Here's Buffy in her new tiny box. She's been so lethargic that just a few moments ago, I found her sleeping face-first in the little food dish. Here are some photos of the situation.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened? I don't want to lose her...

8. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    She seems to stop breathing heavily when the temp goes down into the 80s. Is it possible that she may be over-heating and just doesn't need a lamp anymore? She is however still very tired.

9. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

10. VickoRano

Feb 23, 2013
    Bump! :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by