2 week old chick failing over and half the size of her hatch mates

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tiffany, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Woke up this morning to a very sickly looking chick, was small buy fine and active chick last night. I got her to eat and drink this morning and she was walking around again. 4 hours later unable to stand. crop seems full, she wont eat. She is about half the size of the other 3. She is separated and had a stuffed chicken for a friend. No wounds, and nothing high that she could have fallen off of. please help

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  2. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    Help

3. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    Can no one help me?

4. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    Seeing if any of the morning crew can help. She is stil alive but just barely. Trying to get her to eat and drink

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Have you tried adding sugar to to her water? Just a couple tablespoons.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  6. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Do you have any poultry nutri drench? Tractor supply sells it.I have used this on several occasions for sick or droopy chicks and it really has helped A LOT. I give them a quarter of a dropper twice a day. It really perks them up. Its packed with a lot of good vitamins and gives them a big energy boost. I had a failure to thrive chick that layed on her back and had a huge case of the wobbles and was half the size of her hatch mates for the first two or three weeks. I really thought she would die. The poultry drench really helped her hang in there and I could always tell when it was time for another dose cause she would get droopy again. She finally sorted it out and I weaned her from it slowly. She ended up catching up in the end. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

7. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    I tried the sugar water thing. No avail. Sure wish some one could haber helped last night it passed I think in my lap as I type this. Will go to ts later to jeep the above stuff on hand for future use

8. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Aww![​IMG] So sorry for your loss! Just read this. So hard to tell what's wrong in the little ones, sometimes it is a congenital thing if they die in the first week.

Don't know how old your little one was. For the future:
    Paper towels only, no shavings in brooder until 10days or more.
    A full crop might have something stuck in it, like too large a piece or shavings, starter grit may help.
    A massage on the crop with warm oil w/ crushed mustard or ginger may help.

As well as "Poultry Drench", it's useful to have Pedialyte & PolyViSol baby vites on hand,
    and a few of the antibiotics for common ailments which are powders you can add to water.

I signed on this morning to BYC because my chick also has a sudden bad ailment. She's 8 weeks, and I'm going to post questions too.
    It happens to everyone sometime!

9. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    So sorry you lost one. Sounds like you did the right things. Sometimes, no matter what you do, there is one that does not make it. It might have had something wrong that you couldn't see. It feels awful to lost one. However, you did try to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by