1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 week old chick fell out of coop & has bumble foot? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Titania, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    What happened? It fell out of the 4ft coop that I'm using as a brooder right now (it seriously just ran straight right out the open door) and now has an eye with a red dot on the lower lid & will barely open it. And, now it has what looks like bumble foot. Can chicks 2 weeks old get bumble foot? Do I do the usual operation for bumble foot? Will it die from the shock since it's so young? Please help...suggestions really appreciated here. thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi, I have never heard of a chick getting bumblefoot. It looks like it has cut itself. I would clean the wound and spray blue wound kote on it, to keep the others from picking at it. You could put some terrimycin ointment in it's eye, sound like it ulcerated it. Good luck

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
  4. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    thanks for the treatment ideas. I'm glad I didn't do the typical bumble foot therapy where you dig out the infection. I think you're right about it cutting its foot. Its eye seems to be fine w/ no infection. It still doesn't like to use it though.
    Next time I have a chicken with bumblefoot, I'm going to try that medicine to soak the foot in.

Since it was late at night & I had babies sleeping & no husband at home to stay with them, I just soaked its foot in warm water & rubbed on it. I did this every hour or so until about midnight. I put neosporin and a bandaid on it. Then, I tried it again a few more times the next day. It's looking much better.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by