2 week old chick foot doesn't look right**Included Pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PNWChickenlady, Jun 6, 2011.

1. PNWChickenlady

PNWChickenlady New Egg

May 29, 2011
    All chicks have been great except today I noticed the smallest one's toe on one foot is turned sideways?
    You can see the middle toe on the left is starting to either bend or turn on it's side? Does this look normal? I'm a newbie.

[​IMG]

I stopped using paper towels 2 days ago & started using newspaper - I read as long as it's not the shiny kind, it should be okay....but maybe I made a mistake?
    I bought a whole bag of pine shavings to use, but then realized it was the small kind & they were eating it, so I then went to papertowels, now newspaper......
    HELP!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. PNWChickenlady

PNWChickenlady New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Bump!

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Crooked toe, too late to splint. She should survive.

4. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Looks OK so dont be hard on yourself. I had a chicken like this once. It was fine and had nothind but a small hobble. It'll live.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. PNWChickenlady

PNWChickenlady New Egg

May 29, 2011
    whew! Huh too late to splint? Seems like it just happened overnight too! Aw well - I went back to papertowels tonight just to be safe. The other chickies are fine. So I'll just hope it won't get worse as she grows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by