2 week old chick from Ideal - not a Holland so what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elem, May 25, 2010.

1. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    I have two new chicks originally from Ideal that are supposed to be female. They are 2 weeks old - one is a Welsummer and the other was supposed to be a barred holland. I don't think it is a barred anything and I'm thinking that its a roo. It has a single comb with a larger notch in it, big light yellow legs, and it's longest wing feathers are black and white. I will try to get a better picture of the comb later. Are there any other angles that would be helpful?

Sorry this first one is so blurry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one on the left is the chick in question - its legs are paler and much thicker than the Welsummer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I thought a barred holland looked just like a barred rock except that they laid white eggs and had white/yellow legs? I don't think that is a barred holland. sorry not much help I am still a newbie.

3. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Don't know much about that breed, but here's a link to Ideal showing the adults & chicks....& what you have certainly IS NOT a match!

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=BRHP&Product=715

Sorry to hear that. This mix-up thing also happened to me with Ideal. I didn't order directly from the hatchery, rather the local feed store orders a bunch of barred rocks, EE's (of course they label them" Americanas"), Ideal 236's (white leghorn layer cross), RIR, & assorted bantams each year & last year the Ideals turned out to be wheaten EE's! The store didn't know, but the whole batch of chicks was wrong - like a dark golden buff color instead of the pale yellow of the Ideals are supposed to be. I didn't know any better either & got one then it mysteriously got the puffy cheeks, beard, & reddish wheaten color as it grew! But we love Strawberry & she's an awesome blue egg layer! Glad for the mistake! Yours looks like some kind of red, I'd say a New Hampshire Red or a Production Red. And those giant legs do look roo-ish, don't they? I had a production red roo that was meeeeeeeean!!! Here's a link to all the red chickens that Ideal offers:

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/Products.aspx

Hope this helps. Good luck!

4. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    I know/am pretty sure it isn't a barred anything as barred pattern chicks usually have black down and this chick was mostly yellow/brown with grey-ish brown on top. Last night I looked through the standard size breeds that Ideal offers and compared them with chick pictures on feathersite.com. My chicks wing feathers look kind of like the Buckeyes but the legs are a different colour. Anyone else have some ideas?

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I have Barred Hollands...and I can tell you that that chick is NOT a Barred Holland. [​IMG] Not even a barred anything. [​IMG]

6. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    Thanks, I know it's not a barred anything [​IMG]

Anyone have suggestions about what it is?

7. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Not sure if it was overlooked in my first post, but I it looks a lot like the Production Red roo I had a couple years ago. His legs were ridiculously huge! Also had the lil black areas on the feathers too. Spitting image really. Was a beautiful bird, butours was VERY aggressive toward the hens & humans. Or could be a New Hampshire Red. (Production red is a cross between RIR & NHR) It looks too light in color to be a RIR though. You might ask the store what they typically order from the hatchery, but then again, no guarantee, as you see what happened in my case w/ the "Ideal"! LOL Hope you find out soon. :eek:)

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think it is a cockerel, whatever it is, look at the size of those shanks! It looks like it has golden coloring coming in, right? And a single comb? The legs look more pinkish than yellow too? Hmm. I will have to go pull out the books before I guess a breed.

9. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sure of one thing that is so not a Barred Holland it does however look like it may be part of the RED family *RED*=RIR,PRODUCTION RED,RED SEX LINKS.
    As I siad I am not sure I could be way off base but that is what it looks like to me.

10. OkieChix

OkieChix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    looks like my production red. not sure on sex. might be too soon too tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by