2 week old chick gasping for air

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by saranoh80, Oct 7, 2016.

1. saranoh80

saranoh80 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    I've recently bought 2 2 week old chicks from a reputable breeder. They're inside, clean brooder with heat lamp and big pine chip bedding. One of them is pretty listless, gasping for air and this morning has a mild and infrequent cough. I started her on Corrid yesterday but today am questioning if that is the right course of action. Please help. Thanks

2. goalaimethic

goalaimethic Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    It could be the heat. Check the temperature at the level where they are standing. Heat lamps can shine super hot in some areas, or not enough to keep them at a comfy level of warmth.
    The humidity is also important. Check with a hygrometer. Usually wooden types of bedding and a heat lamp really suck out the moisture. Breathing isn't too fun in dry heat. They should be kept around 50% humidity by using something that can hold water exposed to the air in their enclosure.
    It could also be the chick itself. Sometimes chicks have internal defects that don't keep them from hatching but eventually catch up to them later in life. It's the natural process of things.
    If the chick is able to hold its head up try giving it some sugar water with a pipette for hydration and energy. Be careful not to give too much that swallowing it all down becomes difficult.
    There is also the possibility that the chick swallowed a small piece of pine thinking it was food. They are learning what is and isn't food after all and chickens don't have gag reflexes so whatever gets into their mouth at a certain point isn't known to come back up without intervention. Something like this would probably need some skill or an expert like a veterinarian who can examine and remove the blockage.

3. saranoh80

saranoh80 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't consider the humidity at all. I think having swallowed a chip or it just being a defected chick is the likeliest. The healthy chick is active and noticably bigger then this little girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by