2 week old chick loose in house

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jakeman200, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jakeman200

jakeman200 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    kokomo, indiana
    Two week old chick got loose from brooder and i cant find him. I have turned the house upside down looking for him/ her with no luck. Any ideas where he might be hiding?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Well, I hope you don't have dogs or cats in the house. They can jump pretty high at that age. I would turn TV and all noise off and listen for peeping. They will get cold and chilled pretty fast out from under the lamp at 2 weeks, so it should start peeping loudly. Be careful not to step on the little one. I hope you find it soon before it gets too cold, and be sure and get a screen over the top of the brooder.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi [​IMG] & [​IMG], If you are quiet for a bit and not moving around, the loose chick might start peeping to the other chicks and will help you locate it. They don't like to be separated and will call out. If it is alone and scared it will be quiet and a small chick can fit in very small places.

4. jakeman200

Feb 28, 2014
    kokomo, indiana
    He has alot of feathers for being 2 weeks. But turned off all sound and could not hear anything other than the other 5 chicks. Is this a bad sign?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How long could it have been out of the brooder? If you hadn't seen the chick for hours, it might have gotten chilled and died unfortunately. I sincerely hope you find it soon.

6. jakeman200

Feb 28, 2014
    kokomo, indiana
    From time we realized he was missing has been a little over an hour. But we dont know when exactly he got out. We have been looking since we realized he was gone with nothing showing where he could have gone. No dropping or anything.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep looking primarily around the brooder room. It's unlikely that he would have gone too far. They love to roost on things. I found one on my sofa once when I briefly took the top off my brooder. Don't stop looking tonight--when you find him he will need warming quickly, and will probably be thirsty and hungry.

8. jakeman200

Feb 28, 2014
    kokomo, indiana
    Thank you for all your help

9. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Did you find the chick?

10. jakeman200