2 week old chick losing down and almost naked ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howard, Apr 15, 2009.

1. howard

howard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    NE Alabama
    I have a 2-3 week old Cornish Rock that is losing its down and is mostly just skin ?? what is the problem ?
    Thanks

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    It could be just really slow to get feathers in. If you are worried about it getting cold, you could cut off the cuff part of an old sock and cut wing holes in it. I made one (baby sock cuff) this morning to use as a restraint (no holes for wings) for one of mine.

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Sounds like they have the mainge. Ok just jokeing and have no idea why they are loseing down. maybe someone is rubbing them on thier face to hard or to much.[​IMG]

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Is he getting any pin feathers in? A lot of cornish rocks go bald in places when they are feathering.

5. howard

howard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    NE Alabama
    He has some wing feathers and tail feathers coming in but is loosing faster than they are coming in... Looks pitiful but acts OK. He is HUGE... twice as big as a Rhode Island Red chick that I got at the same time.

6. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes, it's normal for cornish to lose down quicker than they can feather, it's a result of them getting too big. Are you raising him as a meat bird? If not you will need to restrict his feed or else he will become way too fat. I can help you with that if you need. [​IMG]

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I think it is normal mine have naked bottoms, they grow faster than their feathers can keep up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by