2 week old chick missing feathers and bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by badgerang, Jun 7, 2011.

1. badgerang

badgerang New Egg

May 29, 2011
    I just noticed this afternoon that one of my Salmon Fav chicks has a spot right above her tail feathers where the fluff and feathers are missing and it's all red and raw and bleeding a little. Before I separated her, I just saw other chicks were pecking at her. I read that they'll do that if they don't have enough room, or if they're too hot. The temp is right at 90. My fiance is now puting together a bigger home so that they'll have more room. I put her and another Salmon in a separate home for now but even the other little Salmon was pecking at her in there and she was even pecking at her own self! She looks like she's breathing a little heavy and fast, but that could just be me worrying?? What do I do?? She wasn't like that this morning, so hopefully it's soon enough that I can help her.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I would soak her in warm Epsome salt water for 5-10 minutes (TWICE a day), and epsome salt is also a natural way to help with pain too that she may have.
    Then dry her off really really well and put Antibiotic ointment on her bottom.
    as far as the tail feathers..here is a little info.
    If the shaft of the feather was broken and not pulled all the way out then she will not grow feathers until she molts in a year.
    If they were pulled all the way out (shaft and all) then they should start to come in in 2-3 weeks.
    HOWEVER...what first grows in is blood Pin feathers....theses pin feathers attract the attention of her and the other birds she is around. And a lot of timed this will cause them to continue to pick and eat the pin feathers. If this happens it will either slow the growth down or cause her to become permanently bald sad

I would give her some scrambled eggs and buttermilk mixed in to help give her system a little boost
    Keep her issolated until she starts to get better
    Panting is usually caused when they are to HOT, or if they are having breathing trouble (put your ear to her chest and make sure that you cannot hear any fluid or wheezing

Best Wishes,
    --laura--

3. badgerang

badgerang New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Thank you! I'm a little worried about isolating her because Salmons are already low on the pecking order. I just hope they won't pick on her even more when I put her back with the others. It looks like it was mostly fluff and only maybe a few tail feathers that are missing. She still has some of her tail feathers. She's been resting and eating well since I separated her and the other chicks seem to be enjoying their new, BIGGER home! Thanks again for the good advice [​IMG]

4. megg902

megg902 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bastrop
    Wow Laura! I wonder just how many times you have given that same great advice to us newbies?! [​IMG] Just know we all love you for putting up with us and our never ending questions!!

5. Blu Kote on the bloody spots before you put her back in. It's anti-fungal and will also help them not notice the bloody area. If there is any picking, be sure to get her back out fast. It is amazing how fast they can all get covered in blood.....

6. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    You all are VERY welcome...I love to help when I can...there is a lot that i am still learning, and a lot that i can share..... so feel free to PM me if you need to, any time, any day [​IMG]

--laura--

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by