2 week old chick not wanting to move around.

JennJWarren

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
West Tennessee
My daughter is doing a 4-H chick chain and we picked up 20 chicks on March 30th. They are all Isa Brown. 15 of them were a bit older, we were told "about" 10 days old, the other 5 were younger, we were told "about" 5 days old. They have been in a brooder that we bought and have all been doing well. Yesterday we moved all the chicks into a plastic tub while we cleaned the brooder really well and we noticed that one of the younger chicks seemed kinda lethargic. She just wanted to lay down under the brooder plate. If any of the other chicks bumped her she would kinda move a bit and then lay back down. This morning she was still laying down while all the others were eating and drinking. I moved her into a tub with a heating blanket and put food and water down but she didn't seem to care. After some research I went and got some Pedialyte and mixed it with water planning to use a dropper but when I picked her up and offered the water close to her, she drank. Same with food if I bring it to her. When we put her on a flat surface she just lays down and sometimes leans way over on her side. She seems perfectly content in my hand and will eat and drink if I bring the food up to her, if she feels like she's losing her balance she flaps her little wings till she's straight (ish). Not sure what's going on with her but any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_151247788.jpg
    IMG_20230408_151247788.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230408_151225176.jpg
    IMG_20230408_151225176.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230408_151032035_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230408_151032035_HDR.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230408_140925569.jpg
    IMG_20230408_140925569.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 3
She didn't poop for a while after I moved her but she has now pooped several times and it isn't runny. Just normal chick poops. She also chirps very loudly about 30-45 minutes after I put her down, until I pick her up again.

She didn't poop for a while after I moved her but she has now pooped several times and it isn't runny. Just normal chick poops. She also chirps very loudly about 30-45 minutes after I put her down, until I pick her up again.
Jenn, how is she doing? Has she recovered enough to rejoin the flock, I hope? (I lost 2 week-old chicks last week who seemed fine to start, then began acting lethargic, quit eating & drinking and then passed, poor things. Sounds like your little girl has a better chance...)

Jenn, how is she doing? Has she recovered enough to rejoin the flock, I hope? (I lost 2 week-old chicks last week who seemed fine to start, then began acting lethargic, quit eating & drinking and then passed, poor things. Sounds like your little girl has a better chance...)
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. She RECOVERED completely! So I kept her self for a couple of days and just nursed her. Every couple of hours through the day I would hold her and let her drink her fill and eat and then she would get cozy in my hand. After about a day or so she actually started walking around her solitary area no problem. After two days I put her back with the flock and she's done fine since. The only thing that is odd to me is that she seems much smaller than the others, even the others that are supposed to be the same age as she is. We named her Silvie and I guess she's just going to be our runt!

Back
Top Bottom