2 week old chick pecking at herself

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseshowmomnv, Mar 9, 2012.

1. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Our 2 week old light brahma appears to be pecking at her wing area, she now has a sore with no feathers. What do I put on it, how do I help her to stop?

2. horseshowmomnv

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Here is a picture!

[​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ouch.. That looks infected and swollen. You can use some neosporine on it, not the pain relief type. You can spritz it with blue kote. You may have to make her a neck cone if she won't leave it be.

4. horseshowmomnv

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    We have put neosporine on it, we have isolated her, but put another brahma with her. She is on a towel, we have red lights. We put down some chick scratch to occupy them. I am worried she will stress if she is by herself. I have that blue stuff that we use for the horses, is it the same? I guess I can google that information. I worry about this little girl, this is our first chick/chicken adventure.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sometimes when feathers start coming in they are very itchy. She may have an ingrown one.... Or she may just be over grooming. Yes, blue kote for horses is fine. If she continues to pick, take a small plastic lid like to a Pringles chip can or smaller. Cut a small hole in the center a little bigger than her neck, then cut from outside edge straight to the inner circle. Take a piece of duct tape to secure it once you place it around her neck to make a small shallow cone.

6. horseshowmomnv

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Thank you, I think she is over grooming! I will look for my blue kote.
    Thank you so much for the explanation on making a cone for a chick, great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by