2 week old chick seems clumsy - should I worry?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sillyaboutchickens, Sep 2, 2009.

1. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    I don't like to borrow trouble, but we got 3, three day old chicks from a swap a week ago. One of the chicks seems very clumsy. It steps on it's own feet alot and seems to fall to the left frequently. It also lies down more than the other two. Other than this the chick seems fine. It is eating, drinking, pooping, etc. It also has a feather (flight feather I think) on its left wing that grew in very bent. I am wondering if this could be part of the problem. I would rather not remove the chick from the small group of 3 and isolate it as it does not seem sick, just uncoordinated. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    What kind of chick is it?

3. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    I believe it is a golden sex link chick. It seems just fine in the brooder. She walks OK on the pine shavings and is eating and drinking. She is definately growing - just seems "off balance". Even when she lays down, she seems to frequently be on her side, although I have seen her laying on her feet with relative symmetry. When I take the chicks out and let them range around the yard, she seems to have more trouble getting through the grass (which is cut relatively short, but is more uneven than the pine shavings in the box) and she loses her balance to the left a lot. The other two chicks are just dandy - no apparent problems and all are growing fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by