2 week old chick sneezing

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Hi there!

Posted about this in raising baby chicks yesterday but thought I might get some better info in this space. A little nervous because one of our chicks is sneezing and now has discharge around her nostrils. Otherwise seems fine.

1) What type of bird, age, weight? 2 week old silkie chick, small compared to the other at the same age
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Sneezing frequently with nasal discharge, no other behavioral issues. Not constant, but frequent.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since the moment I got her two days ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown. Did contact person I got them from but they're reputable for biosecurity. No other issues in the flock according to person.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes, eating and drinking.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal, both of the new chicks have a little more soft stool than the others but not concerned at this time.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics in water.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use In brooder (kept clean), on paper towels (though issue started prior to getting her in the brooder)

Back
Top Bottom