2 week old chick sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BethanyS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Long story short yesterday after noticing an odd smell from one chick i discovered seeds in the bedding. I promptly removed all of the hay and chick starter from the box. gave them vinegar in there water and fasted them all night. this morning all of their crops were empty and the smelly beak didnt have any odor. I fed them this morning and again at noon but when I checked on them just a moment ago I noticed a light smell on mister smelly beak. Any suggestions?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A chickens crop is the closet thing they have to a stomach. It is full of good bacteria. Two things can cause sour crop: either an imbalance in that bateria or an impaction which has started to rot. Do not give vinegar for a sour crop, this can actually worsen a bacteria imbalance and if there is an impaction you do not want an acid like that to remain sitting in the crop. Yogurt or some other bacteria rich probiotic is going to be a better choice.

If the are eating and pooping normally and their crop is empty after 4 hours without food then I think everything is fine. I would observe and see what happens. It is normal for the crop to fill as they eat. How strong is the smell?

3. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    it sorta smells like cabbage not rotten rancid strong but very odd. the 1 with the funny smell from did not feel at all impacted. after fasting them last night I think that I was overreacting about from full crops. I will get some yogurt this afternoon. I am just worried about him not getting enough food but at the same time I don't want to keep feeding him if he does have a sour crop. should I fast him again tonight or this afternoon?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Since you know that the crop did empty, I would leave them be for now and let them eat. If you are not used to what a crop feels like sometimes the bulge of it is alarming, but storing food there is a normal part of their digestion. Make sure their poop keeps looking normal. The crop should feel like it has feed in it.

A sour crop will be super squishy and mushy like it is full of liquid and it smells very sour and distinct.

5. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I have to put my nose to his head to smell it. they all seem perfectly normal happy and healthy another than mister smelly

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree it sounds fine. Just keep an eye on them.

7. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]they didn't want anything to do with they messy yogurt sticking to their beaks lol i mixed a spoon full into their water last night n again this morning.smelly beak still has a faint smell.ill keep everyone updated.i just had a thought. the top of the beak has always been rusty red in color .is that normal for a RIR?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    my smelly chick has been stinky beak free for almost a week. I'm still putting a tiny bit of yogurt in with their water they are getting grit now and got a taste of their first treats today( a few crickets n sun flower micro greens). and of course devouring lots of organic chick starter

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    YAY!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by