2 week old chick, still alive after dog attack.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by okhippie, Jun 28, 2011.

1. okhippie

okhippie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    We had three 2 week old chicks. Only one is breathing. I found one other intact, but dead, and the 3rd is missing, presumably in the dog's stomach.

With the breathing chick, I have kept her warm for a couple hours, she opens her eyes and will drink a bit of water, but mostly sleeps. I am new to chickens (OBVIOUSLY), so do chicks ever recover from being used as a toy by a dog?
    I can't find any major damage, although I imagine she got chomped on. I will just keep her warm and watered as long as she seems able.
    So frustrating. That's the learning curve, I guess.

Thanks, Jammie (pronounced Jamie)

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    aww i'm so sorry bout your little chickies! I just lost one right now. My favorite one at that, a little black silkie [​IMG]

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    so sad! I'm sorry your chicks got attacked, how did the dog get them? You are doing the right things, keep her warm and dry, and maybe try a bit of water mixed with gatorade if she will take it. She likely has internal injuries, but hopefully she will pull through, good luck! [​IMG]

4. okhippie

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    Well, some good news, I went back out to try once again to find the missing one, I just didn't want my kids to come across her, so I was looking for flies or ants...then I heard chirping under the water hose. She is not hurt too badly, and is now snuggled in with the badly injured chick.

We got 2 bantams back in April, then ordered these 3 chicks to make our small flock. We got the leghorn--the one that is barely hanging on, an Easter Egger-the one I just found alive and somewhat injured, and an Australorp, the one that died.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So sorry this happened, Great news that you found the lost one. I hope the injured one recovers. Do you bknow hows dog it was?

6. okhippie

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    KDaily, I am sorry about your silkie. This is our first loss, I hope the last, but that is a lot to ask.

The dog is ours, we have him in his own fence next to the house. He broke out our daughter's window this morning and she cut her hand on the glass. DH came home to repair it and let the dog out. He feels HORRIBLE.

The dog got into the shop where the chicks were, and I had it proofed for the cat, but not a 40 lb cantankerous dog.

7. okhippie

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    well it died. the one that was hiding is the only one left, but who knows if it will live?

thanks for the support. ordering more now...and setting up a better space for them.

don't have any idea how to take care of this single chick til then. i will figure it out.

8. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Give it a mirror and a small stuffed animal to keep it company

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Give it a mirror and a small stuffed animal to keep it company

very good idea, I have 1 duckling, the rest died, she has a couple stuffed ducks and a mirror. She is doing great.So sorry your chick died, sure hope the other one makes it and will have some new friends soon. All the best.

10. okhippie

Jun 28, 2011
    Keystone Dam
    Thanks so much, everyone. I put her back under the lamp for the night, with mirror and stuffed toy. still don't know if she will fully recover, she wants to stand on one leg, so there is something wrong there, and she spreads one wing out.

She cuddled under my shirt all evening, and ate and pooped twice. The new replacements should be here August 2. I do have two 9 week old bantam hens, but they are quite large in comparison. Don't know if I should try to assimilate the chick ??

What an experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by