2 week old chick still looks like it's barely a week old.... (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redfeather, Nov 9, 2010.

1. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    So, I let one of my hens incubate 9 eggs and as it was, all nine hatched (who with lots of help). So far so good, except for one chick. After a few days it began sitting around doing nothing but panting heavily with the occasional sneeze. Then the panting went away for a while and the chick started gaining some weight and a few wing feathers, but now it has started panting again. All the other chicks except this one (and a buddy) have, since yesterday, been moved out to the coop (but seperated from adult birds). This struggling chick seems happy, eats, preens, drinks, poops, ect, but it is less than half the size of the other chicks (I weighed them).

Here are pictures, you can see the "normal" healthy chick with all the feathers and the elongated head, and the struggling chick, with a few odd feathers on it's wings and a tiny body. I took most of the pics with them together so you could see the size differences.

here's a healthy chick
    [​IMG]

stunted one in front
    [​IMG]

Size comparison… Normal chick at back, “sicky” at front.
    [​IMG]
    Even better size comparison…
    [​IMG]
    Healthy chick again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Some chickens grow slower than others, although it sounds like a heart problem.

What are you feeding them?

3. redfeather

Oct 28, 2010
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Have you tried giving it electrolytes?

5. redfeather

Oct 28, 2010
    No, I haven't... mostly because at the time it was suggested to me, the chick showed great improvement and weight gain and has since relapsed. I guess I can try and pick up some Pedialyte from the store tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by