2 week old chick was doing fine now cant stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aljeffers, Nov 7, 2013.

1. aljeffers

aljeffers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Clinton Tennessee
    I have a 2 week old Lavender Orpington; she was doing good small but good. Yesterday I found her not able to stand and appeared to be hot; she looked wet and her feathers were all sticking together. I don't want to lose this little lady so I tried some Tylan yesterday evening; she still can't stand very good she wobbles a lot, but I have seen her eating and drinking. Any ideas what this could be?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    First, describe the brooder setup you have provided for chicks, how many chicks and the type of feeders and waterers you are using. What is the temperature and what are you feeding the chicks? Why did you give the chick tylan, and was it an injectible or soluble powder? How did you give it to the chick?

3. aljeffers

aljeffers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Clinton Tennessee
    My brooder is a rubbermaid tub that is around 18 inches deep. I have a heat lamp overhead and a small ceramic heater in the room. There are 3 chicks', two are much bigger than my little hen and seem to be doing great. The reason I have tylan was I recently lost a Silver Lace Polish with the same symptoms and to be perfectly I am trying anything and everything to save this little girl. I have the standard small feeders and water that you would buy at your local feed store and I feed them medicated chick starter. She does seem a little more perky today; she was drinking and eating anyway more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by