2 week old chick will not open eye....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, Apr 17, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Hi there.

I have posted here before regarding my chicks sick feet.

The same chick is now not opening her eye. Her feet seem to be improving slowly, but now she keeps her eye shut. It started a day and a half ago. I noticed a red mark on the eye. Not sure if it's a part of the overall problems she has been having or if it's something new or if she just got pecked.

[​IMG]

Also, there are red dots and marks on her beak.

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks Jessica

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    j/w if the eye it is not opening is the one with the mark it could be that it got pecked by another chick if it is both eyes not openingi am not sure

3. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    It's the eye with the red mark on it. She opens the other eye.

What about the red marks on her beak?

4. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the red marks on her beak could be blood splatter have you tried scraping it off it could just my dried blood

5. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    Ya, it doesn't come off.

6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well i dont want to give the wrong info so i am going to say i dont know just see if you can see other chicks picking on this one, im not sure what color light you are using, but it seems to me and alot of other bycers that the red heat light cut back on pecking and roudiness, also i would suggest seperating this chicks from others so this chick doessnt get pecked on, or this chick doesnt pass anything to the other chicks

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

it looks like it's got a hair in it's eye. Same color as my dog's hair I thought it was on my screen till I tried to wipe it off!

8. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    Ya the hair was there, I got it off, but it's not the cause.

9. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    The red marks looks like another chick was picking on her. as for the eye, I had a duck that had no control of his eyelid. He had an eye underneath the lid but couldn't lift his eyelid. I forget what the vet called it, but I suppose he didn't have muscle in his eyelid? Probably the same thing with your chick.

10. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    I don't know, because until a couple of days ago she would open her eye. Now she keeps it shut....opening it only occasionally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by