2 week old chick with a crick neck - is it blind? PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by opihiman911, Jan 19, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I have a 2 week old austrolorp chick that seems to have a crick in its neck. When I saw it in its brooder I thought it was because it was always looking up at me. Now I have them outside running around it always has its neck crooked with its left eye always pointing down. When it gets scared or startled its neck turns even more till its head it almost turned completely around upside down. Also when its startled it tend to run around in circles always in the same direction counterclockwise.
    It seems to be fine, eats and drinks well, scratches and pecks at the ground, doesn't get picked on, able to jump and balance on a roost. It is the runt of the hatch and hatched at 23 days and seemed a little slow the first couple days. As far as I've seen its never been picked on or trampled by its 2 bigger siblings.
    I try an straighten its neck to natural position but if fights it and doesn't like it. Its left eye is open and not damaged, but I don't know how to test it sight.
    Is it blind in one eye? Or maybe a nuerological problem? or something that happen to late hatches? Anyone seen this before?

Aloha,
    Cory
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gobbles!

gobbles! Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Sorry I can't help, but name it Gobbles, after the physically retarded turkey on South Park. That's where my sn came from LOL.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have a chicken that is blind in one eye, but it only cocks its head when I feed them treats or when I speak to her. Usually I'm standing on the side where she can't see so she needs to cock her head to see me. I'm not for sure what could be wrong with your chick, but good luck.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Sounds like a neurological problem. Get some of the Sublingual B12 drops with extra Vit and give a dropper full daily. Well I didn't ask is it still able to eat or drink. If not you might consider culling.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I've seen chicks have this reaction to medicated chick starter. While it doesn't happen often, some don't tolerate the thiamin blocker (amprolium) well, altho I've never seen it this young. I would consider a good vitamin supplement. Poly-vi-sol infant drops are perfect and can be added to the water for everyone. If it was blind, the eyes would likely be shut or gray/cloudy looking. I don't think it's blind, but what is known as a stargazer.

Jody

6. RUHAMA

RUHAMA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    Hey! I have a silkie, "Frosty" who looked like that, got worse before he got better (he is fine now). See the thread under EMERGENCIES - "Poor little chick has constant head shakes-can anyone help" Last listed on 1-15-08. the Vit E with Selenium and Vit B really helped! (posting #13 on that thread. Check it out. Frosty is so cute and back in with the other chicks now - he got to where he was almost doing flips, but you couldn't guess which one it was now.

7. opihiman911

Mar 19, 2007
    Unfortunately We just finished up my daughters polu-vit-sol and she got switched over to tablets. I do have poli-vi-flor tablets, but that had flouride in it.
    We do have some leftover Prenatal vitamins with selenium will that work?
    I'll look in the store next time I'm in town and see if ican find a liquid vitamin/mineral suppleiment.
    How much do I give them? I have both a quart and gallon water feeder available to both the 2 weeks chicks and some older 2 month chicks that I'm starting to socialize together.
    Thanks for that other post in emergencies, I will go and read it.
    This online community is great. I come here with a problem and have an answer in less thatn and hour...I LOVE IT!!!

Aloha,
    Cory

8. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Can you switch the post to Emergency/Disease etc? More knowledgeable may see it there (aka Diana!)

Good luck - how adorable!

9. opihiman911

Mar 19, 2007
    I went and did some more searching about croock neck and was able to find a youtube video and it is exactly what mine has. Always crooked, gets more twisted when scared, walks around in circles.
    Also found this article on treatment, just what Ruhama said vit B, E & selenium.
    Now for a trip to the store to see if I can find them in liquid form.
    I'll keep you updated on what happen in the next couple days.

Cory

Treating "Crookneck"
    by Alan Stanford
    Permission to share this is granted as long as you give credit to the Author

Here is my theory and therapy for what some call "limber neck" and I call crookneck. The symptoms first show as a crook in the neck. It progresses to
    tucking the head, then tucking the head between the legs, then backing up, and tumbling over. It usually hits young birds but can happen at any age.

It is unclear what causes crookneck. American Silkie Bantam Club members suggest water on the brain, vitamin E deficiency, and injury to the brain that
    is outside the skull and forms the knob on the top of Silkie's heads. The brain injury is the cause I feel fairly certain about.

Water on the brain was seen in a necropsy of an affected bird. Prednisone was suggested as symptomatic relief. Vitamin E and B complex are both good for neurological disorders. Selenium helps absorb vitamin E.

Here's what I do for affected birds. If started before symptoms get severe, the bird will totally recover. To give vitamin E - just cut the end off a human capsule and squirt it in the bird's mouth.

It is important to be sure the bird gets enough to eat and drink while it has this problem. Birds with severe cases of crookneck can't eat and drink enough to survive. You will need to gently place their head in the feed dish and carefully dip just the tip of the beak in water. Be careful not to dip too far into the water and to not stress the bird while trying to help.

The following is for an adult about 2 pound bird. Scale back for smaller birds.

For the first week I give

Twice a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone
    400 IU of vitamin E

Once a day
    A piece of human vitamin B complex pill or a squirt of human liquid vitamins
    Selenium (50 micrograms/day for half size juvenile for 3 days)

For the second week I give

Once a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone
    400 IU of vitamin E

Every other day

For the following weeks I give

Once a day
    2.5 mg of prednisone
    400 IU of vitamin E

Every third day

Do not abruptly stop prednisone, the swelling rebounds, decrease dose
    gradually.
    Vitamin E recovery can be slow; continue the vitamin E for several weeks at
    least.

You can get the prednisone from a vet; just describe the problem of
    swelling in
    the brain probably due to injury. Yes Silkies' brains do stick out through a
    hole on the top of the skull.

You can get the vitamin E, selenium, and vitamin B complex or liquid
    vitamins at
    any pharmacy.

To get prednisone, print the pictures at
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/HoleInHead.html
    and take them to a vet. (for those unable to access this article, Alan has generously given his permission to repost the article/photos below)

10. RUHAMA

RUHAMA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    My chick healed without the prednisone. I initially used multivitamins, but not effective. What helped was the Vit E caps with 50mcg of selenium capsules and the liquid sublingual vit B drops. I put them in the drinking water. I got them both in the vitamin (pharmacy) section at Walmart. I also quit feeding him supplemental corn (only what is in the chick start). I am also giving him a little extra protein, eggs, cat food, etc. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by