2 Week old chick with black toe. Need advice please. PIC

Doodle777

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
I have a 2 week old baby cochin with a black toe. I noticed it today and thought it was just pooh stuck to her foot but it was actually a feather that some how got wrapped around her toe and cut of the circulation.
Should I cut off the dead part? Cut off the entire toe? Or just leave it be? How would I go about doing doing the first 2, if that is what should be done?
Also this poor little thing is blind but doing very well up until this happened.
Thank you so much for any advice / input!

Stiggy

Songster
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
New Zealand
Sorry I don't know what to do in relation to the toe thing, but how blind is blind? is it one eye, both, or a cataract like thing ?

Doodle777

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
I'm afraid that the rest of her toe doesn't look good though. I don't want to end up having to amputate her entire foot. Maybe I will wait and see how she is in the morning.

Doodle777

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
It's both eyes. She can't see at all. Bumps into walls, etc. she is learning where her food and water is though. I am giving her polyvisol and making sure she eats and drinks 6 times a day.

Stiggy

Songster
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
New Zealand
To be fair, if she is that blind it may be nicer to put her down, I realise that its a harsh thing to say but from my experience whith chooks if they are blind in both eyes they just don't have a good quality of life, no matter how much you hand feed them, baby them or nurse them. also they get trampled by the other chooks and they are extremely vunerable to predators. however if the blindness is just a temporary thing then disregard the above.

Domestic_goddess

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Utah
To be fair, if she is that blind it may be nicer to put her down, I realise that its a harsh thing to say but from my experience whith chooks if they are blind in both eyes they just don't have a good quality of life, no matter how much you hand feed them, baby them or nurse them. also they get trampled by the other chooks and they are extremely vunerable to predators. however if the blindness is just a temporary thing then disregard the above.
I have to say that I agree. If that foot gets any worse and has to be amputated, I'm not sure I would continue to let her suffer. Just my opinion. Good luck, I know it's hard thing to hear.

Doodle777

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
I have read a lot about chickens who ate blind and live a happy life. I will do what I have to and make sure of it. She is just the sweetest thing! That's nit really my concern right now though, her toe is.
Thank you for your input though, I appreciate any given.

chicklady234

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
My chick (about 3-4 weeks old) has a black toe just like that one... She had some assortment of things wrapped around her foot and I got them off. She doesn't appear to be in pain, but I would love to help this poor baby. How should I help her? And does she need to be in a separate compartment from my three other chicks?? Please help....

Doodle777

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
I did not separate my chick and a little over a week later the black part fell off and the rest of her toe looks fine now.
I didn't put anything on it, just let it be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom