2 week old chick with curled toes

dieselgrl48

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Virginia
Well you could try taping it.Usualy they should be taped within the first week but it may be fixable.Not sure if anyone else here has had any sucess with taping method I have some.Maybe someone else has some more help.

chookchick

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Olympia WA
Here is a great article on chick orthopedics:
http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces
I would go ahead and make the "shoes". I would also give her poly-vi-sol (without iron) drops-(dilute by half)--two drops per day, put them by her beak until she slurps it in (don't put in the water, tastes bad). Do this for a few days just in case it is a deficiency problem. Keep us posted on her progress!

nuts4chickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Kingston, GA
My incubator temps ran low on my last hatch and I had 2 chicks hatch with curled toes. I made them boots out of bandaids and they straightened out just fine. I had one I didn't notice for a week because he has feathered feet but we were able to correct it just after a few days.

ctaynton

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Eastern Oregon
It is possible to fix them within the first few weeks anyways. I had one that got really bad by the age of 2 weeks. I straightened out the toes and stuck the foot to tape. The toes stayed straight and the chick wore the so-called shoes for about 2 weeks or so. It worked. She overcame it and has normal feet now. It worked for me but I don't know about if they are older, if it will work as well. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom