2 week old chick with possible bumblefoot...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lesmullet, Feb 2, 2015.

1. lesmullet

lesmullet New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    I have a chick that I discovered a growth on her foot today. I thought she had poop stuck on her foot but then realized it was a big black scab. ALSO on the other foot looks like there is some kind of growth that almost looks like a wart, but no black scab. I could be wrong about that foot though, I'm very new at this! Like, I've had these chicks for 10 days and that's the extent of my chicken experience. She's acting completely normal though. No trouble walking on it or anything. And I use papertowels on top of old towels for bedding right now.
    I've read about bumblefoot and I'm 99% positive that's what it is. But what can I do for a chick this young?! I read about the Tricide Neo but... can I use it on a chick? Or should I try to find an avian vet to take care of it? Help! TIA.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. That looks like pododermatitis, also called foot pad dermatitis, which is a result of the feet being in wet or soiled bedding. It can also be a problem of biotin deficiency. I would get some pine shavings to use for bedding, since paper towel is probably not enough with older chicks to keep the feet clean and dry. To try to heal this up, I would soak the chick's feet in warm Epsom salts every day for 10 or more minutes, and then dry them thoroughly.

3. lesmullet

lesmullet New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Thank you soooo much!! That's relieving to know it's probably something else. I will try all of this. I've been changing out the paper towels twice a day so that seems a lot of work for them to still be having problems. grrr... but I'll go pick up some pine shavings today :D

4. Fuzzbut

Fuzzbut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2013
    Hubby brought home a chick yesterday that has this same look to it. Did a search and found your post. I sure hope our problems don't turn out to be bumble foot.

5. teverngam

teverngam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    looks like bumble foot. There is a post in byc on how to do surgery on bumble foot, very helpful. I have done this on one of my buff Opr. I will have to say that i had to do it twice because i was too scared to go deep enough the first time and had to redo it, she did get better tho. they say that the heavy breed are more prone to it because of their weight on a pad the size of a nickle. Also may be caused by scratching the ground. Good luck

6. lesmullet

lesmullet New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    I'm not sure what it was but it did clear up with a daily soak in some epsom salt for a about a week! All is well now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by