2 week old chick with scissor beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by STxBCG, Mar 31, 2017.

1. STxBCG

STxBCG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    San Diego, Tx
    One of my Ameraucana chicks has developed scissor beak suddenly. There's nothing in the brooder for it to get injured on so I don't know what happened. I'm gathering there isn't much I can do to fix this from searching online but, thought I'd check with you guys to see if anyone has a remedy.

[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's a genetic problem, and turns up in chicks sometimes. If it's a cockerel, plan on 'freezer camp'. If it's a pullet, and you want to try with her, she could possibly manage, with help. She will need to eat crumble or mash, not pelleted feed, out of a deep dish, always. She won't be able to eat many things on the ground, so will get limited feed when free ranging. The biggest issue is for you to keep that feeder deep enough with feed so she can dive in and get something to eat. It's hard for hens to eat enough to support egg laying. There's a thread here somewhere that might be helpful. Mary

3. STxBCG

STxBCG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    San Diego, Tx
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I'd come up with, Cockerel gets culled, pullet we'll just see how she does. My feeder is a 3" PVC pipe with a saintary Y at the bottom and a little bit of pipe below so, it is pretty deep. It's been able to eat from the chick feeder ok so far, hopefully it'll do OK. Bummer that this turned up, I bought these eggs from a show quality flock with plans to build a quality flock. This one will be a yard bird with the other ranging hatchery birds if it ends up being a pullet and can survive, not a breeder. The feathering so far looks like the nicest of the 3 I hatched. Figures...lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'd let the breeder know about it too. Very sad! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by