2 week old chicken with inflamed ingrown tail feather? Suggestions?

caralynn99

Hatching
Apr 16, 2015
Vancouver Island canada
Hi everyone, I am new here and am on my second batch of baby chickens. I have a 2 week old with what looks like an ingrown tail feather. It is red, swollen and tender for her :( any suggestions what I should do????

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I can't quite see on your pic but she could have been feather pecked by one of your others. Often once blood is drawn this makes the problem worse and they peck even more. I would clean it up to remove the blood and see what's going on. If you could get a pic without the blood please do post in the emergency section where I'm sure members will be able to offer you more advice. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your chick :fl

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from Y/Coop already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice and welcomes! Turns out it was her preening gland that was damaged. She is all better now, just kept cleaning it with normal saline and applied plain polysporin to it and she is as good as new!
1f60a.png
Thanks for the support!

Back
Top Bottom