2 week old chickens

Newbyc

Chirping
Aug 4, 2019
I went to the feed store today and asked if they had grit I have 5 baby chicks about 2weeks and she told me they can’t use that yet so she told me I should still be able to feed them dry mealworms and there starter feed and the 3-1 hydro hen what do you guys think my chicks want some dry mealworms

I went to the feed store today and asked if they had grit I have 5 baby chicks about 2weeks and she told me they can’t use that yet so she told me I should still be able to feed them dry mealworms and there starter feed and the 3-1 hydro hen what do you guys think my chicks want some dry mealworms
Everyone has a thought about grit.
I am solidly in the camp that chicks should be provided Chick Grit. It goes in my brooder free choice when chicks are hatched. Even at less than 12hrs old a chick will select a piece or 2.
Anytime that you are going to give them something to eat besides commercial chick starter (crumbles) they need grit. It promotes gizzard function and helps process foods.

Hydro-Hen...that is Electrolytes, Probiotics and Acidifiers. Instructions are that fresh plain water needs to be available at least 12hrs a day as well. Personally, I would give them fresh water daily. Vitamins/Electrolytes once a week or better yet, for the first week, just give them a direct dose of 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench per day.

My 2¢
Product_Poultry_ChickGrit_5lb.png

If you are giving them anything besides starter feed, give them chick grit on the side. Although you could give them scrambled or hard boiled egg, cut up small and not supplement with chick grit. (Don't want it to resemble an egg, or you may be training them to break and eat their own eggs when they start laying.) In my experience, feed stores just want you to feed them starter feed and nothing else, so they don't recommend the grit. Good luck!

Everyone has a thought about grit.
I am solidly in the camp that chicks should be provided Chick Grit. It goes in my brooder free choice when chicks are hatched. Even at less than 12hrs old a chick will select a piece or 2.
Anytime that you are going to give them something to eat besides commercial chick starter (crumbles) they need grit. It promotes gizzard function and helps process foods.

Hydro-Hen...that is Electrolytes, Probiotics and Acidifiers. Instructions are that fresh plain water needs to be available at least 12hrs a day as well. Personally, I would give them fresh water daily. Vitamins/Electrolytes once a week or better yet, for the first week, just give them a direct dose of 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench per day.

My 2¢
Product_Poultry_ChickGrit_5lb.png
So they should have it that’s why I asked her like they need something to break the food down

Back
Top Bottom