1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 week old chicks chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmychix2014, Aug 5, 2014.

1. luvmychix2014

luvmychix2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I have never before had chickens so don't know if this is common and I'm just being paranoid or if this is an issue...my chicks are 2 weeks old??? I believe one to be older so with that bring said my little one (2 weeks) has what I would call a somewhat bubble on her chest that tends to slightly be more toward the right. She's not missing any feathers and is otherwise healthy...don't really know how else to discribe this the older chick doesn't appear to be this way??? Help!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. Not a problem. It's supposed to be there. It's called a crop.

It may be very helpful to read up on the raising chicks tab to eliminate any fears like this.

Wish ya the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. luvmychix2014

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I have been loving this website and am open to learn learn learn :) all my animals are my kids...than you for the information :)

4. RunamokRanch

RunamokRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Mines is swollen each one if the chicks, one died, looks like a balloon erg is going on?

5. luvmychix2014

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Yes it looks ballooned and is off to the right side...I don't notice it in my other chick so was worried!

6. RunamokRanch

RunamokRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Mine too !!! Help us please!!!!

7. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I agree with Chick Charm on this . It sounds like both of you guy's chickens have an impacted crop. Which, if left untreated, will probably advance into the more serious sour crop. This happens when a chicken gorges himself on long, fibrous foods, long bladed grasses and some hays. All that plant matter ends up getting all tangled up inside their crop - impacted crop.
    Sometimes chickens will consume vast amounts of water in an effort to wash down that which is stuck and/or try to untangle the jumbled up mess in their crop which by now, after all that water, has become a watery, half rotten, acidic soup. It's one of those things that smells sooo much worse than it sounds...and I think it sounds pretty awful. This 'soup' is what's known as - sour crop.

If discovered in time, you can help your chicken by gently, but firmly massaging the crop with your fingers. This will help to breakdown all the fiber and grasses that have gotten stuck in there and developed into a mass.

If your bird has an impacted crop and one day you walk by her and smell something so strong that it'll make the hair on your toes curl...then you can be fairly certain that what was once just an impacted crop, is more than likely a sour crop now.
    To help with a sour crop you'll need to hold the bird at a 60 degree angle, face down with her head pointing towards to floor. Then massage the crop again, but this time you'll need to try and gently push the contents of the crop back up and into the birds throat. Once the sour stew has reached her throat the stinky mess should come out like vomit, which will make the swelling go down. After a bout with sour crop your chicken should be kept somewhere quiet and fed soft foods for a few days. To help reduce the acidity that your chick will have after wards, put 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 gallon of water and let your chicken use this as his only water source for a few days.
    And there you have it...
    Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.

8. luvmychix2014

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Than
    I agree with Chick Charm on this .  It sounds like both of you guy's chickens have an impacted crop.  Which, if left untreated, will probably advance into the more serious sour crop.  This happens when a chicken gorges himself on long, fibrous foods, long bladed grasses and some hays.  All that plant matter ends up getting all tangled up inside their crop - impacted crop.
    Sometimes chickens will consume vast amounts of water in an effort to wash down that which is stuck and/or try to untangle the jumbled up mess in their crop which by now, after all that water, has become a watery, half rotten, acidic soup. It's one of those things that smells sooo much worse than it sounds...and I think it sounds pretty awful.  This 'soup' is what's known as - sour crop.

If discovered in time, you can help your chicken by gently, but firmly massaging the crop with your fingers.  This will help to breakdown all the fiber and grasses that have gotten stuck in there and developed into a mass.

If your bird has an impacted crop and one day you walk by her and smell something so strong that it'll make the hair on your toes curl...then you can be fairly certain that what was once just an impacted crop, is more than likely a sour crop now. 
    To help with a sour crop you'll need to hold the bird at a 60 degree angle, face down with her head pointing towards to floor.  Then massage the crop again, but this time you'll need to try and gently push the contents of the crop back up and into the birds throat.  Once the sour stew has reached her throat the stinky mess should come out like vomit, which will make the swelling go down.  After a bout with sour crop your chicken should be kept somewhere quiet and fed soft foods for a few days.  To help reduce the acidity that your chick will have after wards, put 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 gallon of water and let your chicken use this as his only water source for a few days.
    And there you have it...
    Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.
    [/quote
    Thank you I will try that and see what happens, she is just 2 weeks old and has been eating nothing but chick feed.

9. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    It is rather odd, but you say it's affecting more than just one chick, correct? That's what makes me think that it's something other than congenita l. Like an impacted crop. But Heaven knows I could be wrong !!! I've certainly been called out on it a time or two, right here on BYC...LOL !!! So you do what you think is best for your chickens and good luck.

10. luvmychix2014

Aug 1, 2014
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    It's just in my one chick...I will try what has been suggested :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by